• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 and monitor issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I have had a problem recently and thought I would share in hopes of helping someone else out sometime.

My Hardware:
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h
Msi R7970
Dual monitors -one is Acer 24" and the other is an Hp 19"

The issues started with strange monitor behavior. When I would reboot, my 24" monitor would not turn on until the windows login screen. I usually run one screen from my motherboard and one monitor from my Gpu.
I also have been having some windows issues lately, so I recently ordered a new, larger hard drive and have been planning on doing a fresh windows install. I thought that a windows reinstall would help fix both problems.

Yesterday, I backed up all of my info, cleaned up a bunch of old programs, junk and trash files, then began the installation. I started installlation and had no video on the Acer monitor, but thought nothing of it. I thought it was a driver issue. I continued on with installation, installing drivers, installing programs, etc. I still could not get the other monitor to turn on. Later after messing with it and trying to figure it out, things started getting worse. Now the computer would, not even boot. It was really strange behavior. Once it booted and I had no video on either screen, but I heard the windows startup sound.

I am now kind of puzzled and decide to start troubleshooting. Perhaps I am having motherboard or memory problems.....WTF?? I ended up pulling my 7970 out and the computer boots and works fine. Dead gpu right? I put it back in to double check and my issue comes back. Yup, dead gpu.

I mourn the loss of my gpu and figure it is due for a RMA. I now decide I need my other monitor hooked up so I can go about my surfing business. I plug in my larger monitor, and it doesn't come on. So, I figured I would have to reboot to get my larger monitor to come on. I turn it off and back on, but it never starts. My issue has returned!! :bang head

After messing with the computer and pulling my hair out for a while more, I decide to go back, and I swap my monitor back to the small one.

Things are now working!?!? Is my monitor the problem?? I reinstalled my 7970, plug it in to the small monitor and it works. My monitor, when plugged in is causing my computer to not properly boot! I didn't think that was possible!

I am now back on my Samsung monitor along with the smaller HP. Everything is now running ok. I guess I will pull my 5870 out of the box and test it. I thought it died last week, but it was plugged into this same monitor. I will have to remount the waterblock and plumb it back in to test it.
So, overall I am out a monitor, but that is much better than what I thought was happening. I thought I had 2 dead gpu's and a motherboard that was killing them. :)

I guess the moral of the story is strange things happen, make sure to check all of the possibilities when troubleshooting. A bad monitor will cause a no boot situation....

Yes, but now that I have swapped out the monitor, it is working good and is back to mining. My 5870 may go back in this same machine and back to mining also, if it lives.

Back