• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock x79 Extreme 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've got this motherboard running on a test bench w/a i7-3820 Sandybridge E at 4773Mhz and air cooled by a Thermalright SB-E w/two high power fans in a push-pull config. I noticed when doing some stress testing w/Prime 95 that the VRM heatsink was getting really hot. Hot enough to burn my finger when touching it, so I stuck a squirrel cage fan right next to it (less than inch away) and have some really small 20mm x 10mm fans I could attach.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to cool the VRM heatsink on an Asrock x79 Extreme? I know thermalright makes the HR09 VRM 'sinks, but I don't even know if those will work w/my motherboard.

The Thermalright SB-E takes up all the space in front of the VRM heatsink so I'm going to try attaching the 20mm x 10mm fans to the VRM heatsink, but I don't think they'll make much difference.

Fans as you are doing is the only way without further modifications to your setup. X79 VRM area runs notably, especially when overclocking.

Well, cooling the VRM's is definitely causing problems w/my 3820 overclock @ 4773Mhz. If I don't have the exhaust fans out the back and PSU fan going full speed the CPU still remains relatively cool (70 degrees celsius at 29 degrees ambient) but the VRM's overheat and the BIOS protection kicks in causing a hard reset of the system. I still don't know what I'm going to do because the thermalright SB-E Archon heatpipes butt up right against the VRM heatsink so I don't have any room to mount any fans on the VRM heatsink. The small 20mm fans I bought look to be pretty useless at cooling anything (even though they spin at 10K RPM).

For the record, I'm now of the opinion that the VRM temps were never the issue w/my overclock, but
that lack of vcore was. For anything over 4600Mhz it looks like I need to go well over 1.4V Vcore. It takes nearly 1.4V Vcore to get to 4585Mhz.

Back