• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Skylake Comes in 2015, Brings DDR4 and PCI-E 4.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Some details regarding the successor to upcoming Broadwell CPUs, codenamed Skylake, have emerged with the leak of an alleged presentation slide. Intel's future CPUs are to feature an all new architecture and a new socket, moving from 1150. Additionally, it will bring DDR4 memory support to the mainstream market, as well as PCI-E 4.0 for increased graphics and system bandwidth.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Slide has errors in it, lol.
intel_cpu_mic_roadmap-640x489.png

PCIe3 came with IB, SB was all PCIe2.

EDIT:
And Haswell (Note: not Haswell-E) as DDR4.

I can only find two SB-E+Titan/7970 results on HWBot that say PCIe 3.0, everything else is 2.0.
I was under the impression that Intel initially planned 3.0 and dropped to 2.0 at release.

Intel says 2.0: 3960x 3930k

SNB-E was capable of running PCIe 3.0, but not specifically certified for PCIe 3.0 by the PCI Special Interest Group in time for its release. So while it couldn't technically be called PCIe 3.0, it's basically running PCIe 3.0.

Clear as mud?

Looking at it again, it's talking Xeons, not desktop.

That's what makes the difference, SB-E Xeons are rated for PCIe3.

Sooooo, this slide means nothing for desktop use.

PCIe 3.0 couldn't be properly tested for compliance when SB-E was released. So Intel couldn't say/market that SB-E was PCIe3.0 compliant, although the CPU has native PCIe3.0 support.

Some desktop X79 motherboards allow PCIe3.0.

EVGA does on some BIOS, looking at HWBot. TiN and Vince have PCIe. Nobody else I ran across.
I'm surprised Intel hasn't gone back and gotten it certified.

EVGA does on some BIOS, looking at HWBot. TiN and Vince have PCIe. Nobody else I ran across.
I'm surprised Intel hasn't gone back and gotten it certified.

Probably because it isn't a big deal since most cards don't fully saturate pcie 2.0 yet.

Only real advantage is that pcie 3.0 x8 won't bottleneck most cards last time I checked.

Back