• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN 8.2 the real deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Someone told me that his WIN 8.2 PC is able to play a game previously impossible (means it will run at a nearly unplayable condition) to be run on a WIN 7 system. It kinda made me amazed and shocked at the same time. Because with common sense, a game unable to run properly on WIN 7 cant be made run properly on WIN 8.2. But thats my common sense and not necessarely reality.

So, whats reality? I fail to judge because i lack accurate sources telling me the truth (google is to less of a help).

So, myth or truth? Whats the peformance advantage?

Last edited:
I dont know what kind of game was running better on "his" machine, im trying to ask. My own machine is running fine with all (my) games on WIN 7, i got zero issues, so im very happy. :D I just wonder if those stuff some people say is for real or just unnecessary boasting.

Really dont see the point upgrading to WIN 8.2, i mean im happy, so why to add bucks to something with the risk to open a new bag of issues? I enjoy old and proven stuff, more than a few % more performance.

I haven't run into any scenario where I felt that a program was running better on Windows 8 than Windows 7 but I guess it is possible that it could in fact be true for one specific set up.

What setup or what program or what game? I just cant find a solid proof. Spreading rumours without a solid proof is a bad thing to do, thats why i ask.

I believe I said I do not know of a specific set up, just say that theoretically one could exist.

Ok well, but im a very practical person when it comes to such matters. Dreaming and theory is nice for some other stuff and part of my life, but when it comes to my PC i enjoy hard and practical reality. So anyway, maybe some other people may know some hints but thanks for taking your time.

Most issues with Windows 8 compatibility are blown way out of the water. My company has all kinds of legacy applications, and our support resources have had no problems finding ways to run those applications on Win 8.

The word "impossible" you use in the OP... So the game flat out doesn't run or what? You mention performance, so the game runs but isn't playable? The OP is a little vague.

You say you are a practical person and are attempting to avoid theoretical answers but your who question is a theoretical scenario asking if there is indeed a program that runs on Windows 8 but not on 7 yet you give no example yourself, this will be my last post in this thread.

Impossible simply means that the performance is that worse that it is most likely unreaslistic to feel satisfied with but on WIN 8 it apparently is satisfying, so the difference must be huge, else its out of common sense. That users own words "WIN 8.2 was adding a drastic performance jump from games he couldnt run because of the WIN 7 OS"... cant say more than that. Of course i was totaly confused...

Whats a "drastic jump"? By common sense and by my own view 20+% (thats the point when i upgrade a GPU). But everyone got a different view, for example some people feel +10% from a Haswell CPU amazing and some others are yawning and consider a Haswell CPU a joke. As long as we cant set a spec and prove our words with good maths, its as good as useless.

Last edited:
Actually its future plans (new DX features too) but the "awesome OS" is indeed WIN 8.1 preview. Its not the "initial WIN 8" and it will need a optional update.

But the joke is, MS is trying to boost WIN 8 like mad. Instead of focusing on a WIN 9 they are delaying that matter and trying to improve WIN 8 that much that it actually is in need of a new name (8.1, 8.2) and not just a "service pack". MSs idea of forcing users into Metro and App stuff seems to be serious (kinda a second Apple... because Apple was pwning everyone by theyr "supreme" ideas). Final outcome is that at some point the freedom and custom will surely be decreased and desktop users are taking even more of a punishment in order to satisfy the "awesome" portable market with its awesome moving customers (by heart, feets and cash). Anyway, just wish to know if those "performance stuff" is true or not.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 was just released June 26th, perhaps the 8.2 is a typo?

Trying hard to get my little brain around this. The first thing I thought is that "8.2" should have been 8.1? I've read many posts by IVY and you certainly seem to be a person who believes in verifiable, facts. Supported by evidence. You are what some would call a critical thinker - so, if you typed 8.2 it seems logical to think that you have/had a good reason to do so!

According to Wikipedia:

"Windows 8.1 is scheduled for release in late 2013 and, according to Microsoft, will change "key aspects" of how Windows 8 is used,[6] including the reinstatement of the Start button.[7]" (Article Link)

If I may infer what question is being asked is - What is Windows 8.2 and is it possible that a user has/had a better "user experience" by using it.

Thoughts:

1)If the question is "what is Windows 8.2?"
a)a FUTURE improvement to Windows 8.0 and or Windows 8.1 - would guess that the release date for that is October 2014. Is it possible that if this is true that Windows 9.0 would be delayed. Rumor was/is that Windows 9.0 would also have a release date of October 2014.
2) If the question is "could it be real that a end user actually is going to have a better experience with Windows 8.2?" - don't see how this could be really, truly happening. Windows 8.1 RTM doesn't ship to manufacturers/OEM until August 2013. Doesn't make any sense that any version of Windows 8.2 could be in use by anyone. Even if it was in use (odd are 1/100,000) don't think that they would be talking about anything.

Please comment as you see fit! (I've been reading about Windows 8.0/8.1 for some time. Great reading there - it's is the O/S!)

Windows 8 is an improved Windows 7, it does use "improved" coding, which might work better with some games.
The problems get the greatest rants and discussion.
So there could be "special" performance"
Perennial side discussions.
Personally, I am not an IT guy. On a limited sample I have NOT found W8 intuitive, or readily compatible with older hardware or software.
Nor do I find it a joy to switch between the two.
I found it easy to switch from XP to Vista, possibly because I was not an early adopter.
Vista to 7 was easy and intuitive.
Putting W8 on an XP laptop or desktop and finding "no drivers" available is not fun.
W8.1 address a number of issues/presentation.
When it does what you want to do, or you have a work arounds, it works well enough, despite the silly graphics. Fast, less resource intensive.
BUT
My phone is basic android, my tablets are Nook and Kindle, I do not have a Windows touch screen windows system, my notebooks are happy on W7 and Vista.
Maybe in 6 months or a year, when googling will solve all problems, maybe..

Last edited:
i installed win 8 about 3 months back with classic shell, due to my parents needing a new windows license and me having a win7 pro and a win8 pro key and not wanting to stick them with win8 in case there were problems.

So far, once i installed classic shell, which happened 20 minutes in because the base ui for win8 is plain stupid, i really dont see an end user difference between it and 7. They play all of my games the same, they boot about the same, they shut down about the same. But hey, now i can pause file transfers :D

once i installed classic shell, which happened 20 minutes in because the base ui for win8 is plain stupid, i really dont see an end user difference between it and 7. They play all of my games the same, they boot about the same, they shut down about the same. But hey, now i can pause file transfers :D

Quoted for The Win.

Once Classic Shell is installed with a custom Windows 7 start Button:
Start Button Win7.png ,
THERE IS NO negative difference from boot to shut down b/w Win7 and Win8, provided you also:

DisableCharms.png

Perhaps there is something out there that works on Win7 and not on Win8 that >> you << actually use, but 100% of the time, in every single thread I've participated in, whoever claimed something did not work under Win8, it was their own system / their own user error that was responsible, because simple search showed the program in question being run on many other Windows 8 machines.

EDIT: Classic Shell is so popular that imposter links are out there, this is the real one:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

Yeah classicshell is so popular one of our forum posters thought it cost money and had ads, because the imposter program he got did. Make sure to get the real, free, classicshell.

Windows 8.1 was just released June 26th, perhaps the 8.2 is a typo?
Trying hard to get my little brain around this. The first thing I thought is that "8.2" should have been 8.1? I've read many posts by IVY and you certainly seem to be a person who believes in verifiable, facts. Supported by evidence. You are what some would call a critical thinker - so, if you typed 8.2 it seems logical to think that you have/had a good reason to do so!

According to Wikipedia:

"Windows 8.1 is scheduled for release in late 2013 and, according to Microsoft, will change "key aspects" of how Windows 8 is used,[6] including the reinstatement of the Start button.[7]" (Article Link)

If I may infer what question is being asked is - What is Windows 8.2 and is it possible that a user has/had a better "user experience" by using it.

Thoughts:

1)If the question is "what is Windows 8.2?"
a)a FUTURE improvement to Windows 8.0 and or Windows 8.1 - would guess that the release date for that is October 2014. Is it possible that if this is true that Windows 9.0 would be delayed. Rumor was/is that Windows 9.0 would also have a release date of October 2014.
2) If the question is "could it be real that a end user actually is going to have a better experience with Windows 8.2?" - don't see how this could be really, truly happening. Windows 8.1 RTM doesn't ship to manufacturers/OEM until August 2013. Doesn't make any sense that any version of Windows 8.2 could be in use by anyone. Even if it was in use (odd are 1/100,000) don't think that they would be talking about anything.

Please comment as you see fit! (I've been reading about Windows 8.0/8.1 for some time. Great reading there - it's is the O/S!)

I'm not sure where my statement fits into your post, I just have not heard of Windows 8.2 being released yet. Perhaps someone could provide a link?

There is no such thing. He is talking about the development of the next Windows (they are always developing follow-up versions). There is no name for the next version, people refer to it as Windows 8.2 or Windows 9.

But Windows 8.1 is coming out first. Windows 8.1 will not be the "real deal" because huge number of people have already voted by returning their Windows 8 machines to stores and replacing them Windows 7 machines, unaware of Classic Shell. Therefore there is no "...if Windows 8.1 is received poorly by consumers..." It will be received exactly as original Windows 8 was because the 'how it will be received" question is simple to answer, does it have the option, just the option, of booting straight to Desktop with real Start Button and real Desktop Start Menu? If it does not then why would Windows 8.1 be received any differently, since average Joe does not like Metro, period. Businesses don't like it either.

Matter of fact, imagine this scenario: Windows 8.1 is advertized as having a Start Button. It does have a Start Button. Except it's not a Start Button! It is a Trap Button to sling you right back into Metro.

So imagine them out there finally somehow getting out of Metro and into Desktop's familiar territory and out of habit they click on the new Start Button which catapults them right back into the jaws of Metro they desperately tried to escape from. There'll be lots of "Nooooo!" yells in lots of households installing Windows 8.1, unaware of Classic Shell.

Last edited:
So, the classic shell is making the exact same interface such as Win 7? Sourceforge is usualy free of cost. Almost had in mind the Overclockers are using the metro diligently in order to have "faster results" and praising its awesome capability to run faster above anything else. Anyway, currently all my machines are on Win 7 and the next "complete upgrade = new machines + OS" is not any sooner than 2 more years (Skylake/ DDR4 generation), so im not in a hurry. Linux surely a matter im considering for HTPC in the next "generation" but its inferior for gaming machines (just to less support).

Yes fact is, mouse clickers do not benefit from Metro and Apps, its only making stuff worse.

Still dunno if the myth is true that some games run "drastically" better on 8.1+ Windowns.

Last edited:
Back