• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with new Samsung 840 Pro...please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mv0087

I'm quite frustrated with this purchase. I did a fresh install on the 840 PRO with the latest firmware (DXM05B0Q) and it seems like a constant source of problems.

First...whenever I load a fullscreen application all three of my monitors go black for ~3 seconds and then come back on one at a time.

Second...after my displays have been asleep for a while they will sometimes fail to turn back on forcing a restart of the machine.

Finally I have encountered a few bluescreens from time to time when exiting a full screen application (typically happens when I exit the video game Heroes of Newerth). Other times when I stream video on one of my secondary monitors the stream will just stop and not be recoverable at all, sometimes even when I exit the browser and open it again...super frustrating.

Any advice on what I should do here? I have tuned the OS to the "Maximum reliability" settings using the Samsung Magician utility and over provisioned 20%.

The thing that really bothers me the most is the displays not waking up and stalling for a few seconds when something goes full screen.

Edit: The drive also appears to be performing well under advertised speeds.
8WHKagB

Last edited:
Would updating graphics drivers help? I did a driver sweeper --> upgrade on the fresh install but it seems like the drivers that came with the GPU perform better and I get fewer blue screens / computer freezes requiring a hard reset. I also never had the display stalls / not waking up on my WD Caviar Black 1TB drive.

I also noticed other weird issues with the new graphics driver...like when I would move my mouse from primary monitor in a game to the secondary monitor the mouse graphic would break apart into a million pieces and colors, yet it would be fine on the other two displays.

NOTE: all the graphics driver problems were on the SSD and not the old hard drive.

Then mv0087 you will have to test some more drivers and till you find one that works with your card and set up! I have just finished reading about this same problem, the advice seems is this. If and when you download the latest drivers it is always to do a custom Install, using Nvida and select clean install at the bottom of the page.

This will delete your old drivers before installing the new ones, when you have completed this you should notice that it runs much better. If you don't you may experience some stuttering or Buggy type activity. AJ. :shrug: ;)

Its worth a try at least it will prove one way or the other if it works!

Doing that didn't help anything, and besides I mainly use driver sweeper anyway. Any other advice for what I should do? I think even in some of my games I am noticing slowdown / skipping and it is entirely due to the SSD...this is blowing my ******* mind.

Unlikely for your special problem, but enable Hot Plug on the SATA port the SSD is connected to.
On my board it says it improves stability.

So I assume you didn't do a fresh format and instead did a clone of your old mechanical to the ssd?

Edit: never mind you said you did in the OP.

Sounds like a driver issue to me. I cant imagine those things being caused by an ssd.

Open the power options and play with the pci-e and USB power savings options.

The only reason I would disagree with that is because when I had the OS and video card driver on my WD Caviar Black drive it ran perfectly and I didn't have these weird flickering and monitor delay problems. I also can't explain the blue screens...but it would make sense to me that a video driver could be the cause.

What settings should I tweak? Also any other diagnostic tests I could run?

I hate to think all your problems are being caused by a SSD... I think if anything, the issue maybe a flaked out install of the video drivers. ( not blaming you or your skills ha). Why not try to reinstall the OS/? What order did you install your drivers in? Make sure you do the chipset drivers first. Keep the OS as vanilla as possible. All motherboard drivers first then graphics drivers. Test it out, see if you can get it to blue screen on you.

This just me but i don't like to spin my tires too long before just giving up and reinstalling the OS.

My first thought is this isn't your SSD. However, the fact your system was stable prior to installing it really makes me question that.

I've got an SSD (not an expensive one) in my laptop and I started experiencing some really strange, random issues. Once I updated the firmware on the drive, they all went away.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd put the WD drive back in and RMA the Samsung. Once you get the replacement, you'll end up doing a fresh install which would hopefully resolve any driver issues.

I would try physically unplugging all but 1 monitor, uninstall and re-install the graphics driver. If it becomes more stable, it's probably a graphics issue.

Back