• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte UD3r rev2 - infinite reboot loop pains

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pf.Farnsworth

Hey guys,

Ran myself silly trying to solve this problem over last week with no luck. I think its time for some interactive help :)

SPEC:

Mobo: Gigabyte UD3r rev2
Cpu: i7
Storage: mix of WD and Seagate HDD’s and Mushkin Cronos SSD
Ram: Corsair XMS3
PSU: Corsair AX850W

PROBLEM INFO:

On boot crash at win7 logo and loop.

Problem persists with any HDD and SSD and with any OS origin.

All HDD’s and SSD with any OS origin boot fine in my other PC.

W7 installed of of USB stick. For some reason if stick is in the crash doesn’t occur and it’s possible to boot in to SSD or HDD.

Changing SATA mode from IDE to ACHI does not help.

Boot priorities do no help.

Clearing CMOS does no help.

TIMELINE:

- First time Install from CD made with image OS1 = fail (asks for drivers, probably ACHI)

- Second attempt from USB stick made with image OS1 (same as CD) = fail (no driver request but installer unable to create a working partition, partition forms, 100mb reserve doesn’t form, refuses to install on created partition)

- Third attempt from USB stick made with image OS2 (2nd installer version) = fail (same partition problem)

- Fourth attempt from USB stick made with image OS3 = partial success (OS installed but unable to boot, it’s possible I booted from disk one time somehow but I remember sh*t going sour fast)

- Once inside the OS I decided that the problem is with the SATA controller on the mobo so I decided to install the chipset driver and all the storage controller drivers. The mobo was whining about it during POST about ACHI drivers not being installed anyway.

- After installing drivers from Gigabytes site:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#dl

as well as some windows updates, it asks to restart. I think I got away with one restart but on the second it crashed at logo.

-I ended up using a restore point and it fixed it until I updated and restarted at which piont it happen again.

- Eventually figured out with USB stick inserted it is possible to boot from a disk… somehow. I guess it... somehow decided to look and find what it needed to boot the disk on the stick… or some relation was formed between the disk and the stick during install…

-Restore points no longer fix the problem.

-I tried a clean install, same problem. Any disk, any install, even though they work perfectly on other PC all do the winLogo crash loop.

-I attempted to repair the hive files though this guide with no luck:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

- I attempted a repair and took a look at the log.

First time I got:

03: unknown
04: 0
05: AutoFailover
06: 1
07: BadDriver
OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Second time I got:

03: unknown
04: 21199707
05: AutoFailover
06: 2
07: BadDriver
OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Another log says somewhere in it that the failure is due to recent upgrade or driver installation.

- Tried clearing the BIOS via clear CMOS switch = no result

- Tried loading failsafe BIOS defaults = no result

-The interesting part is when mobo POSTS it no longer complains about SATA controller. Clearly they are independent of disk and BIOS because they seem to stay no matter what.

-Another interesting thing is inside OS in disk management everything is normal 100mb partition no drive letter, main partition C. But when looking from repair command prompt with DISKPART using LIST VOLUME the 100mb partition had drive letter C: and the main one has D.

CONCLUSIONS:

I feel like the problem is independent of disks and OS and is with mobo.

I feel like given the logs and timeline some driver royally F***** my mobo somehow.

No idea what to do. :cry:

Last edited:
Back