• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skyrim - Legendary Edition...worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazenarrow

So i'm just now getting into gaming. I previously have only really been into counter strike. I've played HL2 in the past, as well as Bioshock. I'm now playing Bioshock 2, which is pretty cool and a little of crysis 3.

I noticed today that steam is offering a sale for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition. My questions are:

1.) Based off my limited gaming experience, do you think i'll enjoy this game?

2.) Should I get the whole pack (i.e. legendary edition) or should I just get the original Skyrim first to see if I like it?

What's in the Legendary edition pack?

Honestly I would play Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas first. There can be a slight stutter issue with the Fallouts but it's easily patched out.

The Fallout games have worse graphics than Skyrim but they have a more linear story, are easier to follow, and have less confusing and complex systems of combat and magic to understand. You can also get through them faster. And they're cheaper.

Since you've only played games where you shoot things with guns in the past, I'm guessing you should stick with that for the time being instead of getting into cumbersome archery mechanics and swords and magic spells. You may not be a mature enough gamer to fully enjoy skyrim. I've been playing games for 25 years and I couldn't fully appreciate it. Nor am I able to fully appreciate Zelda games most of the time.

The Fallout games have a lot of really great guns in them and great plots. I enjoyed New Vegas more than Fallout 3 but your mileage may vary.

Also, download Mechwarrior Online. It's a first person shooter with giant robots that shoot an array of weapons at each other.
It's free!!

Last edited:
The legendary pack includes basically all of the skyrim games and extra levels or whatever lol. It's 40% off in steam, but I think I am just going to get the 50% and only get skyrim elder scrolls, the original game.

I guess I was thinking that if the graphics were awesome it would be fun to play, but I see what your saying about it being more in depth (might not want to spend the time learning all that).

I'll also look into Fallout, thanks for the tip!

Just vanilla skyrim without any addons has over a hundred hours of gameplay in it. If you do go for skyrim make sure you start developing your magic early. Go to the magicians college early in the game and become the most powerful magician you can. It helps a lot. You can get by with no magic but its harder. Thats why i prefer fallout. You just shoot stuff. Plus in fallout you can freeze time and shoot out specific portions of your enemy.

Yeah skyrim may be hard to pick up if you're not used to the RPG style gameplay. My hardest thing with games like skyrim is that they are so open and huge I get distracted and while I have fun I never end up finishing the game because I get board with it or pick up something else and never end up finishing the story line.

Skyrim is a great game and a lot of fun at that but may not be the best place to start with RPG games seeing as their not your normal genre the best cross over would be Fallout.

Thanks! I think i'll take advantage of this deal and see how I like it. BTW, do you think a 7870 OCed can handle it pretty well @ 1920X1200??

Thanks! I think i'll take advantage of this deal and see how I like it. BTW, do you think a 7870 OCed can handle it pretty well @ 1920X1200??

Yes, I just looked up a quick benchmark w/ that card and it was getting good frames at 1920x1080 on full settings.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-15.html

LOL....looked up my card for poops and giggles (7970) and it performs the same as yours....something is amiss at TOMS
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104-9.html

I could never take more than 3 steps in Fallout 3 without it crashing.

I gave up on that game loooooong ago. 2 different machines same result

Wow. I remember when I was a new gamer. It was quite exciting being dumped in an open world with nothing more than my keyboard and mouse.
I started my Elder Scrolls experience on a next to useless laptop with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I don't regret the year and a half I soaked myself in exploring every nook and cranny the game and its mods had to offer.

Quite some time after that I played Oblivion. It was ok but it didn't feel the same.
Fallout 3 on the other hand was awesome. The same excitement that filled me as I began my Morrowind adventure, filled me again as I stepped out of Vault 101. Although I liked New Vegas, it didn't feel as dark as Fallout 3 for me, I think that had something to do with the somewhat bright reddish desert wastes.

Skyrim for me was nearly right up there with Morrowind and Fallout 3. I didn't feel the same level of excitement but it still promised adventure. I've clocked 400~500 hours on Skyrim and its mods currently and I still feel like I've got more to explore.

It really comes down to personal taste in games. I'd recommend you buy and try vanilla Skyrim. If you like it, there's more.

I could never take more than 3 steps in Fallout 3 without it crashing.

That's odd because I've played FO3 on 2 machines built 4 years apart and it runs issue free for me all the time.

It really comes down to personal taste in games. I'd recommend you buy and try vanilla Skyrim. If you like it, there's more.

Yes but wouldn't you agree that the Fallout games are easier to wrap your mind around and 'grasp' than Elderscrolls? He's a brand new gamer.

Out of the box, Fallout 3 doesn't work well with Windows 7 (possibly Win8 too). There are some .ini tweaks to make the game use two threads which fixes almost everyone's CTD problems.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim are the exact same game type, just different settings. It depends on whether one likes the fantasy RPG settings or modern RPG settings.

Yes but wouldn't you agree that the Fallout games are easier to wrap your mind around and 'grasp' than Elderscrolls? He's a brand new gamer.
I can agree with that, although, because I started with Morrowind, I found Fallout 3 a tiny bit harder to get use to. Still, I was V.A.T.S.ing molerats and ghouls in no time.

Fallout 3 and Skyrim are the exact same game type, just different settings.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Skyrim and Fallout 3 are the "exact" same game type. Although they are both Role Playing Games, magic use in Skyrim and the V.A.T.S. in Fallout 3, lead to totally different experiences.

Back