• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want a 3 monitor card with only 1 PCI-x16 slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAD450r

Hello all I am working on trying to build a better gaming system from my still older but fast setup. Here's what I have as of now.

Case is an INWIN q500 rev b
Power supply is an Antec truepower 2.0 550watt
Gigabyte GA-EP43--DS3L/S3L [not sure witch version, book has both listed]
Intel QX9650 @ stock speed right now
Geforce 7900 GTX [want a triple display setup on this single slot motherboard]
PNY 4x1gb sticks ddr2
Sandisk SSD 120gb for OS
western digital 300gb 10,000rpm 2.5 inch for storage
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Just purchased three 22inch dell monitors for this pc to replace my single 20 inch dell. Still running 1680x1050 resolution.

Which single geforce card will be able to play NVIDIA surround on my 3 screens @ 1680x1050 resolution. Really want this for diablo 3.

As for overclocking i'll keep reading before I dive in. I know this qx9650 is capable of over 4ghz, im running a huge cpu cooler from ZULMAN. I also have a zulman gpu cooler and 3 80mm case fans in a full tower for those that dont know of the inwin q500. Its 20 years old almost but still fits all I can put into the case I own 4 of them.

My file server is also an inwin q500b with 12 hard drives mounted in it with 2 ide dvdrw's. Just saying how big tower is.

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 314
  • rating.png
    rating.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
1600x1080 by 3

I guess its 4800x1080 im looking for.

Hmm wonder why my pic's not appear

I guess its 4800x1080 im looking for.

Hmm wonder why my pic's not appear

It would actually be 5040x1050.

Did you host the pictures here? Click "Go Advanced" and then use the paper clip button to put the pictures in.

The Giga Windforce is pretty good, but I think the EVGA ACX cooler is quieter.

Your Core2Quad should do pretty well, but it'll start showing its age soon. I wouldn't OC much on that motherboard either, it has a weak power delivery section.

Check this

eyefinity

Im not a fan at all of ati driver support I use to use them only when I did alot of tv capture, loved the all in wonder cards but even back then before amd bought them I hated there driver support for gaming.

That is why I said I want nvidia surround, thanks for all your imputs.

a friend of mine has 1440 res working fine with a 760, going up to 1600 will reduce it that much ?

Diablo 3 is not that demanding.
A 760 will take it with ease across 3x 1680x1050.
Since it looks like you don't upgrade often, get the 4gb variety.

7950 or 7970 is your best option. AMD drivers are MUCH better than 5-6 years ago. You want extra vRAM and wider memory bus for higher resolution.

still leary

Im not an amd/ati fan but seems to be 100$ cheaper for this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

working on my stand

I mentioned earlier that i purchased 3 22 inch dells, Im trying to do the DYI triple monitor mount from black pipe and some electrical box top at 4and 11/16ths flat covers. I hope to get all three drilled at once by a local shop so the 4x100mm is perfect on all 3 then the 2 mount wholes for how I will mount the plates to the pipe using say sprinklersystem hangers.

I hope to make it fit all over this setup I have now without having to move my 1986 kenwood KR-V7010 dolby surround reciever. this is before centerchannel came out. I run it to my 2 BOSE 301 black editions. They sound sweet for pc sound.

tried to attach pics again. Today it says I have some stupid token missing and wont upload using paperclip as it did yesterday. i'll try add it after from a different pc if have too

Hoping my damn monitors will arrive today so I can see if my idea to mount them to pipe will be sufficiant.

Personally, I think Surround/Eyefinity is almost pointless for isometric games like Diablo 3.

Dungeon halls will mostly be running diagonally, not horizontal. So, three screens give you no benefit while in dungeons. However, you will get some benefit in the open areas since you can see more to the left and right, but you'll still have to settle for the same amount of the game world above and below your character as you have with a single screen.

Also, your mini-map will be WAY off to the top-right of the right screen, causing you to have to turn your head to check the mini-map instead of just moving your eyes like on a single screen. The same thing goes for the chat window as well, except it'll be at the lower left of the left screen, causing you to turn your head when reading chat instead of glancing with your eyes.

In my opinion, a 2560x1600 or 1920x1200 monitor would be more beneficial in isometric games than three 1680x1050 screens in Surround/Eyefinity since it will give you more game world in all directions in all parts of the game at all times, which is what you really need for isometric games.

Here's a crude example of what I'm talking about:

Black = mock-up monitors on the diagonal
Red = dungeon halls/paths

d3_triple_screen.png

Last edited:
Back