• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan controlling the pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigray791g

Registered
Is it possible to control the speed of my pump using a fan controller ?

My pump has the 3 pin fan header but it also has a manual thing on it to control speed from 1 to 5 (but it is a pain in the butt to manipulate so its out of the question).

Pump is an Alphacool VPP655 (variable)

Thanks !

From the looks of it on google, the wires are for power. You can only control the pump via the backside of it on its 1-5 dial. Most D5 pumps, folks leave it at level 3.

Thanks for the quick reply sir.

Also, i ran into this thread while doing research :

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660190

It mostly is about automating the pump speed but it seems to say it is possible but only being a matter of wattage of the pump vs what wattage the controller can handle.

So im thinking if i use this controller ''Lamptron High Wattage 4 Channel Rheobus'' (30 watts /channel) or this one ''Lamptron Fan-Atic 5 Port Military Switch Baybus'' (60W /channel), it will be more than enough for my pump which pulls 24W at most.

Right ? :confused:

Also, the reason why i would want to do this is to control pressure in the loop to optimize temperature since i read higher pressure doesnt necessarily means lower temps. Is that right ? :confused:

Thanks again !

Edit. Or maybe this controller would do it : Lamptron CW611 36W - 6 Channel Aluminum Liquid Cooling Controller

Last edited:
Thanks Conumdrum, my bad there about pressure ^^

So you wouldnt recommend the CW611 for the vpp655t ? Im just wondering how is the mcp655 better and if you meant it is a better choice if i want to be able to use a controller ?

Thanks once again :)

just to make sure, this is what i use (wasnt sure we could post external links ^^)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...led.html?tl=g30c97s152&id=Cso6rXa4&mv_pc=4412

For the sake of me, i might just drill a hole into the glass so i can adjust it lol Talk of porrly designed piece of sh** haha well, could be worth getting rma and switching for a better setup...

Last edited:
Can't control those pumps. Only pumps you can control are the custom Koolance ones with their custom controllers or getting PWM pumps running on a PWM header.

Best pump in the market still holding the crown is the MCP-35x. It's PWN controlled.

Thanks Conumdrum, my bad there about pressure ^^

So you wouldnt recommend the CW611 for the vpp655t ? Im just wondering how is the mcp655 better and if you meant it is a better choice if i want to be able to use a controller ?

Can't use a controller. Not made for that.

Monsoon res for your pump. Made by Boxgods.

Can't control those pumps. Only pumps you can control are the custom Koolance ones with their custom controllers or getting PWM pumps running on a PWM header.

Best pump in the market still holding the crown is the MCP-35x. It's PWN controlled.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1357575/...n-cw611-water-cooling-assisted-fan-controller

They seem to be saying here that this controller is made specifically to control pumps speed, basically any 12V max pump... Im well aware my pump is not going anywhere with this controller but im not sure why you say you need custom pumps...

Im kinda insisting on that matter because this controller seems very nice for the price and would fit my build for many reasons i think. I would just need to find the pump that fits with it but i cant seem to be able to...

I was asking if you guys were suggesting the MCP655 or MCP-35x for that matter since they are PWM and would work on that controller or are you suggesting they are just great pumps ??

Edit. I am looking at that mcp655 pwn now, with the monsoon s2 maybe :drool:

I have to read more on PWM but my eyes hurting and im hungry, been reading for 12 hours now :chair:

Well, thanks if you can enlighten me more on that matter :)

Last edited:
Maybe you need to slow down. Your pump isn't made for voltage speed control, I already said that.

That fan controller WILL NOT change a PWM pump speed, it's a standard THREE PIN voltage controlled. You really need to learn the basics between PWM and voltage controlled.

Sorry to say, but your one of thousands I have seen over the years rushing into this without the research. Your need to slowwww downnnnn. It['s a hobby dude.

BTW, it's PWM, not PWN.

Your pump isn't made for voltage speed control, I already said that.

I know sir. What i have been asking is if i'll be able to adjust the MCP655 speed with the CW611 controller.

Also, i am not in any sort of rush really, it's just i might have found myself a new hobby and spending a lot of time in it. No wife, no kids, not much to do at work these days...

So here i am asking all sorts of questions trying to figure out which may suit my needs best...

And about the research, i just said ive been reading 12 hours today only lol Was also prepping rad while reading, flushing it almost all day.

Anyway, i dont see the problem here aside you not being able to read.

Thanks Conundrum but if you want to be an a**, just ignore my threads, thanks!

All (except the corsair link since its PWM controlled) controllers are voltage controlled. The PWM pumps will only be controlled only on a PWM Header which is the CPU Header by BIOS or Windows.

If you want a physical control knob than I would suggest grabbing a Koolance pump with their controller.

I have seen fan controllers used as pump controllers for the MCP-350/355 (Voltage Controlled) but I personally don't know how good that is. Maybe someone can give more insight on that. I've also read guys with the fan controllers overloading the pump and frying the PCB. So I can't say much other than giving you what I know and a few options. Hope this helps.

I control my MCP355 with a Sunbeam Rheostat controller. I can't see what the voltages are, but I can adjust pump rpm from about 1800rpm to 3950 rpm. It needs to be set at least 2500rpm (no idea what voltage that is) for it to start up properly/reliably though.

I run it at 2750rpm with no issues. The controller is rated for 30watts per channel. I run the fans off an Aquaero 5 LT. The Aquaero is only rated for 20watts per channel, so I didn't think it wise to put the pump on that. Plus, as Conundrum stated previously, there's really very little to no advantage to dynamically controlling pump speed. Just set it and forget it.

Back