• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unreal 3 Engine in Lost Planet 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and the new X-COM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naxonater

Registered
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone had checked out the recently release Unreal Engine 3 games that have come out in the past 2 weeks. I have been trying to play all 3 (and SR 4) over the past week with my gtx 780 and i7 4700K equipped rig and I just wanted to chat about the interesting implementation of this well used engine on all these games with gamers who appreciate the work put into these things. Any thoughts?

Your absolutely right about them tweaking the engine. SR4 actually started out as a SR3 add on they just expanded it and made it into a whole game. I did find allot of bluring pixels and although volition tries to pass it off as a game effect (as you are in a digital matrix like world) I noticed it blurs out of control when there is allot of action on the screen. That was on ultra settings with gtx 780 at 1080p btw. Bottom line though the game is allot of fun to play.

Yeah, the gameplay is great and runs fine on both of my systems (i7 3820/7970 and phenom 2 x4/5670) :D

What new x-com game you mean? I played it and it works falwlessly on my end...both with my former gtx 670 ftw and my current 7970. I did notice some variance between catalyst versions, the latest beta is smoother for those games.

But in how many games will you have time/want to watch a puddle dry? Other than Arma ;) but yes the tech behind it is amazing and I believe its the subtle details that make a game great and really pull you in.

and to think! In 5 years Consoles will advertise the same thing as ground breaking and Next gen ;)

But in how many games will you have time/want to watch a puddle dry? Other than Arma ;) but yes the tech behind it is amazing and I believe its the subtle details that make a game great and really pull you in.

and to think! In 5 years Consoles will advertise the same thing as ground breaking and Next gen ;)

Original Crysis, looking at all the cool things in the Jungles and such was pretty amazing. In open world games its easy to enjoy the world for what its worth.

I wanna see games running Unreal 4 already. Epic has this Fortnight cartoonish zombie game coming out but it doesn't look like a showcase type of game. There is an indie dinosaur game running on unreal 4 coming out for PS4 but I haven't seen anything else running the engine. I should have noted earlier that Splinter Cell is actually running on a heavily modified version of Unreal 2.5 which kind of makes you wonder if we will still be seeing allot of Unreal 3 games still for years to come.

To be honest I have kind of been burnt out on how many Unreal 3 games there are out. Btw the new XCOM game is a third person shooter called the Bureau (came out a week or so ago) which is suppossed to be a prequel of sorts to the other recently released Xcom game made by Firaxis. So far it has got some not so great reviews I havent had the time to play it at length yet myself.

You can edit your posts if you feel like adding more stuff btw...just sayin.

Interesting that you mention X-com, I didn't see that new game coming. I still haven't finished the last one.

Back