• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is fantastic so far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alien1099

I noticed there wasn't a thread so I thought I'd make one. I received this game for free with my recent Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB video card purchase. I was going to buy the game anyway if feedback on it was good from critics and players so that saved me $60ish. I'm a die hard Steam user, so I hate that I was forced to use the Uplay service to get the game, but it was free so I can't complain. I had read previously that they were removing mandatory Uplay connectivity from the game unlike past games like Far Cry 3. I have not tried to launch it without Uplay however and it does do a validation process when launching the game so I can't say with certainty how the DRM is setup. Since I got the game through Uplay I just assumed I needed to launch it through it.

I only played it for an hour or so last night after work before I went to sleep but so far it seems to be pretty cool. It appears they have taken some of the more action oriented gameplay of Conviction and mixed it with the original stealth oriented gameplay from the original 3-4 games. I actually like it a lot. I did not care for Conviction much as a Splinter Cell game. It was poor in that respect and I was disappointed. It was a decent game with good production values overall, but it wasn't Splinter Cell. Conviction was more like a video game adaptation of the Jason Bourne movies. Blacklist still has a lot of the fast paced action from the previous game but combines it with real stealth gameplay so you can still play the game (so far at least) like you did in Chaos Theory if you choose. You can customize your loadout to your liking and there's a plethora of options for gear/weapons and attachments/mods for them like suppressors, red dot sights, and lasers. You can purchase upgrades for your transport plane and gear with money you earn from the missions you undertake to give you an extra edge in the missions you accept. There seems to be a lot of optional side missions instead of a forced/linear storyline set of missions. Missions also seem to have spontaneous and optional objectives you can try to complete.

The production values for Blacklist are very high and the graphics are amazing. Almost everything is motion captured so the animation is good. Textures appear to be high resolution and not just muddy console ported textures. It's a little offputting at first to not have Michael Ironside voicing Sam Fisher, but the new guy isn't half bad and does a decent job. He just doesn't have an iconic voice that you would instantly recognize anywhere like Ironside or James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman, but don't let that discourage you from buying the game.

Anyway, so far after an hour of play time, I am really liking it and highly recommend it if you're a Splinter Cell fan. This is not a crappy console port with poor controls like Conviction and Ubisoft went out of their way to make a very good PC game with all of the bells and whistles and right the wrongs they made with Conviction.

Last edited:
This is good news to my ears, I was gonna buy it because I absolutely loved Conviction and Double Agent (as well as Pandora Tomorrow). Was just waiting to see what some other fans thought of it.

This game blew away my expectations. Conviction was such a fail, but they definitely made up for it with Extinction. I didn't play the coop yet, but the online is great. Classic SvM is on point and the new 4v4 Blacklist SvM is just as good/fun.

100% recommended for Splinter Cell fans and anyone just thinking about checking it out.

You really didn't like Conviction? I loved Conviction, I thought the gameplay was great (though admittedly NOT fluid), voice overs good, gadgets were fun. I honestly don't see why it was such a fail, wasn't a big fan of the black/white shadows deal though.

You really didn't like Conviction? I loved Conviction, I thought the gameplay was great (though admittedly NOT fluid), voice overs good, gadgets were fun. I honestly don't see why it was such a fail, wasn't a big fan of the black/white shadows deal though.
I mean I enjoyed the campaign, but I after I beat that the multiplayer didnt hold my attention at all. Basically to me, Blacklist is what I hoped Conviction would be.

Man, I've probably sunk 5 hours into blacklist. This game is so good, initially the voice actor threw me off but now it's natural. Young Sam kind of looks and sounds like commander Shepard

So I've been playing all of the co-op missions today and they are great.

Word to the wise. If you're going to play the Abandoned City/Koltsovo co-op (Briggs) mission on perfectionist, bring a competent teammate and you need to both have extended mags on your primary weapon (preferably both have an SC4000). The last part is a series of waves/hordes of enemies and I spent an hour trying to play through it. We made it through ONCE and it bugged out and nothing happened. The other guy just couldn't really hold his own.

I love the game, hate the autosave. Most difficult autosave game I've ever played. You go through a mission and take out 9 out of 10 targets, only to screw up on the last one or you're detected a split second before you ghost take them out and now you have to start all over again. Enjoyable gaming turns to frustration...there should be a quick save option or at least auto save more often.

I'm really digging this game, love the coop missions/waves and single player is tons of fun... I did a little of the MP but didn't get into it much...

Feel free to shoot me a friend request on Steam (enterthewomb) not sure what my Uplay name is...

Back