• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 1942 & HDMI audio issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

Welcome back to 2003. But anyway, BF1942 is the only game where sound doesn't work on my system. It works using my Nvidia HDMI audio running directly to the TV but not to my receiver. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fix this? It's a rig kind of dedicated to entertainment such as old school/new gaming. Running Windows 8, btw. I recall having the same problem with Win7.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have menu/start sound but no sound in-game. Could it be the sound type or frequency that's making certain audio not play?

Last edited:
Aye, it's nice to see a fellow BF1942 player. I believe it's a driver issue, I've never had any trouble running sound through HDMI when playing BF.
I'm going to assume the game is patched to the latest version?

I assume latest version being the Origin version. I've tried different Nvidia drivers. I haven't tried onboard video to the receiver though. But I'm not using the receiver atm so sound is just fine. Incidentally, I'll never advise anyone to buy an Onkyo receiver/avr.

I assume latest version being the Origin version. I've tried different Nvidia drivers. I haven't tried onboard video to the receiver though. But I'm not using the receiver atm so sound is just fine. Incidentally, I'll never advise anyone to buy an Onkyo receiver/avr.

Off-topic: BF1942 was updated to an Origin version? Does this mean what I think it means? IE, being forced to install and have running Origin just to play BF1942? :mad:

You don't have to have Origin. You can play the original version online still. But I'd get the Origin version; it's free and there's more people playing it. As far as I'm aware, the Origin version doesn't have any significant update, just the Origin DRM.

The Origin DRM is enough to keep me away from it. I have not, and will not purchase or use any Origin force enabled game from EA. The only recent purchase I made was Mass Effect 3, which I promptly got the Origin-free executable as soon as I installed it, and quickly deleted the Origin install (had to install Origin just to install the game :bang head ).

If audio through the TV works, connect the TV's S/PDIF output to the receiver. It should also get you a little less lag.

Back