• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how often do you upgrade GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i wanna create a poll but i don't know how. well anyway here is the question,how often do you upgrade GPU? with the advent of the new amd line of cards, many of you will be upgrading. and i am here justifying what would be my decision based on your answeres... i bought this 7950 last oct. 2012.. well its almost a year and i think it'll still kick *** but hey a shiny new line of cards is always good right? how often do you upgrade guys? a year? two? three? 6 months? thanks for taking time reading my question

I personally don't like to upgrade unless I can get either a 50%+ performance improvement or get close to the same performance going from two cards to one. I wouldn't mind cutting back my heat and power drawby aalmost half.

I like to upgrade everything as I go. My machine is constantly changing. I will upgrade GPU's whenever I can afford it.

Right now I have SLI GTX 670 4GB cards as Im going to get into multiple monitors here very soon and I just added the 2nd 670 yesterday :D Before that I had a single 670. Before that I had a GTX 570 1GB and before that I had an HD4890. The 4890 lasted longer than most cards do. Plus I was not in a position to upgrade during that period. So for me it depends on a few factors.

i tend to do it when i can afford it/before my card loses its value, ie i got almost £300 for my 670 & waterblock on ebay which funded my 780 purchase. 780's are now £60 cheaper, but i wouldn't be be able to get over £200 if i sold my 670 now. £50 saved right there.

Its like the way my dad sells his cars, buying new then selling before they lose their value. Same principle.

i tend to do it when i can afford it/before my card loses its value, ie i got almost £300 for my 670 & waterblock on ebay which funded my 780 purchase. 780's are now £60 cheaper, but i wouldn't be be able to get over £200 if i sold my 670 now. £50 saved right there.

Its like the way my dad sells his cars, buying new then selling before they lose their value. Same principle.

thanks for the tip!

I upgrade when needed. If I don't need it (read: plays all my games fine) than I won't upgrade. Simple. Its nice to know what others do, but ultimately you know your gaming and financial situation so it is all up to you regardless of what others are doing. Dont be a lemming, do what is best for YOU! :)

I upgrade when needed. If I don't need it (read: plays all my games fine) than I won't upgrade. Simple. Its nice to know what others do, but ultimately you know your gaming and financial situation so it is all up to you regardless of what others are doing. Dont be a lemming, do what is best for YOU! :)

thanks for the tip man! just wanna know what others are thinking and doing, that's all.. :thup: :D

Agree on the 670 prices etc. I was happy with a single 670. I was going to do something GPU wise in Feb (tax refund) like a Titan or something. Then I was on New Egg last week and they had the Zotac GTX670 4GB for 294 it was on Amazon for 235. soooo, I checked my pocket and there was money in it so I picked up my 2nd one to play with :p Now I may still upgrade in Feb but Im picking up 2 more monitors and a new desk first :D

I usually upgrade only when needed. Time frame usually depends on what budget I had when I purchased my last card but usually 2-3 years. One thing that has helped me is staying a little behind in screen res which means less GPU power needed. I'd love to grab a 27" 1440p monitor but I know I can't easily afford the GPU power to keep me happy with it. I'm still running 1680x1050 and just now looking to go 1920x1080/1200.

Back