• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas for New Format for the CC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adak

I'm looking for ideas to change the Chimp Challenge, into a cooperative teams race or effort, of some kind, instead of a team vs. team format. The main reason is that I see no way to make the race "fair", or even close to it, when we have teams whose folders are earning millions of points per day.

We did not have time to make all the changes needed before the last CC, but we do have time now, if we get working on it.

I'd like to do some brainstorming with lots of other teams as well for ideas, and see which of them have a good vibe to them. No idea is a bad one! The more we have to consider, the more likely we can find a good idea for the next race.

Any idea's? What would you like to see in a cooperative multi-team effort?

Hey Adak,
Whaler here from the LinusTechTips team. Warmon6 from Tom's Hardware put me onto this thread... good idea. Sort some of this out now.

Thoughts...

As for a way to even it up - that can be hard, even with handicap's. Look at our team for instance. We have been growing like nuts for the past 6 months - so, what handicap would we get? Also, at the end of the day, we only put out about 5M points where as [H]ard can crank out 50M. So, at the start, we get a billion points to their none? Seems more like us just waiting for them to pass us. :)

I think a co-op thing has some merit - maybe a "Chimp 2014" team and we ALL fold for that team for the duration - see just how many points we can all crank out to one team in the period? Probably be VERY impressive. Then each year after that is trying to beat the previous years co-operative mark.

I think that would work. We don't need a "competition" per say to get us all cranking out - a co-operative good cause for two weeks would be cool! And then of course bragging rights for top members, within the challenge itself and I can see teams competing as well among themselves to get to placement on the Chimp team.

One thing on our forum, I could get our graphics designer to come up with a new badge - all LTT members that fold for Chimp 2014 get a custom badge to mark this. Incentives. :)

And here I thought last years race was just about perfect. No hassle changing IDs, entire team participating, good handicaps, and no fake team members racking up points and taking spots on the top user list.

Hey Adak,
Whaler here from the LinusTechTips team. Warmon6 from Tom's Hardware put me onto this thread... good idea. Sort some of this out now.

Thoughts...

As for a way to even it up - that can be hard, even with handicap's. Look at our team for instance. We have been growing like nuts for the past 6 months - so, what handicap would we get? Also, at the end of the day, we only put out about 5M points where as [H]ard can crank out 50M. So, at the start, we get a billion points to their none? Seems more like us just waiting for them to pass us. :)

I have a way to handicap it, but in your situation, it would be less accurate than for a team that had raced several times. For the last few years [H] has refused to race again in the CC, after their team melted down 3 years ago in one. So the "big dog" in the race is EVGA, most likely.
Not a lot better though!

(The issue they fought so much over, has been removed, now), but CC race is still a sore spot to mention on the [H] forum.

I think a co-op thing has some merit - maybe a "Chimp 2014" team and we ALL fold for that team for the duration - see just how many points we can all crank out to one team in the period? Probably be VERY impressive. Then each year after that is trying to beat the previous years co-operative mark.

I think that would work. We don't need a "competition" per say to get us all cranking out - a co-operative good cause for two weeks would be cool! And then of course bragging rights for top members, within the challenge itself and I can see teams competing as well among themselves to get to placement on the Chimp team.

One thing on our forum, I could get our graphics designer to come up with a new badge - all LTT members that fold for Chimp 2014 get a custom badge to mark this. Incentives. :)

I agree about the badges - everybody likes them.

Folding for another team or folding handle, has been a real PITA, over the years. It's also THE very thing that causes more arguments than anything else within a team, AND the cause of [H]'s near total meltdown.

So none of that! :shock: However, we could easily make a Chimp 2014 virtual team, and have a lot of fun with that, while still folding for ourselves, and our own teams. It would be just like we had a Chimp 2014 team - reporting during the race and all that, but it would be virtual, not real. :cool:

I'd have to write a program for it, but it's doable. Thanks for suggesting that, Whaler.

Good to hear from you, and great news about your team! :clap:

And here I thought last years race was just about perfect. No hassle changing IDs, entire team participating, good handicaps, and no fake team members racking up points and taking spots on the top user list.

And SOMEBODY is still folding 9k ppd for "T32monkeys". It will take me another 8 months or so to pass it. :eek:

So, a lot of changes in the wind for the upcoming race:

1) A name change. The race is moving in a whole new direction, and needs a name that reflects that. "Folding", or "F.A.H", should be a part of that name.

The race today is not between two small sub-teams that both had the name "monkeys" (Spider Monkeys and Folding Monkeys), in their name. Not at all.

I'm looking for race name suggestions, if you think of one, please post it!

2) Team vs team format has a problem with teams trusting each other, to try and set up a fair race. Lots of issues become unsolvable without trust and cooperation, between the teams. (Are you listening EVGA?).

The new format will be a few meta teams, racing together. It might look like this, with Team A, vs. Team B, versus Team C: (team names would be chosen, of course). This is a hypothetical race.

2014_Race_Example.PNG

3) Teams that have less than the folding production of the largest team, will be given a handicap to make them equal, as shown above.

4) Racing teammates would need to be folding for their team (no change of folding handles - don't worry Orion!), 1 month before the start of the race. Late comers after the 1 month cut off date, may join the team and race, but their points won't be counted. That eliminates the possibility of outside recruiting during the race, which lots of teams don't want to have in the race. It doesn't help us to win, but it's a good move for the race, as a whole.

5) The Jaded Monkey as the prize for the winning teams to display, will be replaced by a new image. It's not finished, except in my mind's eye, but it's beautiful and much more appropriate for a FAH race winner.

Your thoughts on the above are most welcome.

Last edited:
Rick from Toms Hardware here.
I can't speak for the whole team, but we are pretty much willing to do just about anything to raise awareness for F@H.
We are all on the same team ,even though our team numbers are different.
Although we all have different reasons for folding, though most of us have lost loved ones to the different diseases being studied.
As far as name suggestions?
"Folding for Humanity" seems about right. Nothing fancy but states or purpose , and our contributions are for all of humanity.
Count me in on whatever gets decided.

A few quick things:
- Why not make your 'enemies' your friends and team up with EVGA (ie EVGA and overclockers.com as team A?
- I'd like to participate as a participant from either of my two teams (MaxPC or PNY_Folds).
- I'd like to keep the jaded monkey for some kind of prize to display. Yeah, it's kinda outdated, but lots of competitions have changed from their original thrust, but keep the interesting trophies that they started with.
- I don't mind the current name, but maybe add a more descriptive subtitle or secondary title. With the entire title change, it basically creates an entirely new race, which may be the point.

Maybe we need a completely new race to disconnect from the recent past. The time frame could be similar or the same or maybe not. Something totally new for everyone.

In the terms of a co-operative "race" what if it was just a combined effort (as was stated previously) among any of the teams that are participating as well as any members that sign up?

A person can quickly fill out a short webpage (name/team/eoc link for example) to sign up and have their points counted towards the grand total. Make it a year-to-year challenge where we hope to out-PPD/produce the previous year (should be possible/likely all things considered due to advanced hardware).

No hard feelings or fights over switching teams or anything.

Not sure how a prize would work though (if any).

Folding for Humanity
That is a pretty good name! Fingers crossed that the temps in NY aren't in the 70's F this year when running it. My office was a sauna last year. :)

A few quick things:
- Why not make your 'enemies' your friends and team up with EVGA (ie EVGA and overclockers.com as team A?
- I'd like to participate as a participant from either of my two teams (MaxPC or PNY_Folds).
- I'd like to keep the jaded monkey for some kind of prize to display. Yeah, it's kinda outdated, but lots of competitions have changed from their original thrust, but keep the interesting trophies that they started with.
- I don't mind the current name, but maybe add a more descriptive subtitle or secondary title. With the entire title change, it basically creates an entirely new race, which may be the point.

Maybe we need a completely new race to disconnect from the recent past. The time frame could be similar or the same or maybe not. Something totally new for everyone.

1) EVGA sees distrust and conspiracy in everything I do because we won the last two CC's in a row, and I was the CC Captain for this last race. I've tried being civil with them. They have a great team, great folders, great forum, but a very active bunch of forum leaders that can't be civil. They think of EVGA, first, EVGA second, spout off some folding slogans, and then they're right back to EVGA third, EVGA fourth, and EVGA fifth.

About half the people in the EVGA thread, want their team to abandon the CC.. Every other post is mud-slinging aimed at me, or at the CC last year. I ask them for a little consideration since we need to work to CHANGE the CC, not to bury it - and they just keep up worse than ever. I gave a real compliment to [H] in a post on their forum, and they immediately retort with "We see what you're trying to do, make a rift between [H] and EVGA". Holy ****! Race with EVGA? :rofl:

I PM'd one of the EVGA good guys, with this link, already.

2) I have posted this link at MaxPC. Plan on racing, with either team!

3) You'll forget ALL about the Jaded Monkey, when you see the new image! It's beautiful. We need to move away from the "Monkey" theme - you're right, it is a new race.

Thanks for you comments.

Last edited:
In the terms of a co-operative "race" what if it was just a combined effort (as was stated previously) among any of the teams that are participating as well as any members that sign up?

A person can quickly fill out a short webpage (name/team/eoc link for example) to sign up and have their points counted towards the grand total. Make it a year-to-year challenge where we hope to out-PPD/produce the previous year (should be possible/likely all things considered due to advanced hardware).

No hard feelings or fights over switching teams or anything.

Not sure how a prize would work though (if any).

I've proposed a short version of this. A long long race, is something that will generally have no impact - no buzz, for FAH, or for participating. That's too close to what we do every day.

All the fights over switching teams is now removed by the new format - there is none of it. Switching must be done one month beforehand, or the switchers points will be disallowed, automatically.

That is a pretty good name! Fingers crossed that the temps in NY aren't in the 70's F this year when running it. My office was a sauna last year. :)

I do like that name. :clap: Thanks for the suggestion Rick (and the second from Mandrake)!

I've proposed a short version of this. A long long race, is something that will generally have no impact - no buzz, for FAH, or for participating. That's too close to what we do every day.

All the fights over switching teams is now removed by the new format - there is none of it. Switching must be done one month beforehand, or the switchers points will be disallowed, automatically.

The race doesn't have to be any longer than it was. I was just saying that the goal year after year could be to go above the amount from the previous year's race (be it a month, or however long).

The race doesn't have to be any longer than it was. I was just saying that the goal year after year could be to go above the amount from the previous year's race (be it a month, or however long).
Ah! I get you! We have raised the amount folded during the race, most years, but we didn't use it as a goal. Hmmm, have to think on this one. Thanks Janus!

Yep, could also make it so that the goal isn't necessarily points (as hopefully that would be a given), but maybe in participants? That would at least hopefully show some growth year after year?

Back