• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 8 key question. (have on laptop. want on desktop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hey guys. i have a laptop that came with windows 8. i would like to put it on my desktop. i know that OEM computers that come with windows 8 have its key stored on the UEFI or something so there really isn't a key per say but i didn't know if there is a way i can install and use that key or code or whatever it is to register it on my desktop. i want 8 for battlefield 4 on my pc and im not in the mood dumping 100+ bucks on windows 8 for my desktop when i already have it on my laptop.

The license does not let you do that, sorry. The installs have pre-activated installs that don't have keys included. There may be one on the bottom of the laptop, but I haven't seen one of those work since XP.

It works for my Windows 7 x64 key I got from my college. They give you a free upgrade copy of Windows Ultimate and Professional and I had to re install Windows.

This let me re-use my cd-key and re activate windows without any fuss!
But I don't have Windows 8 so I can't try it to see if it works...

Silver_Pharaoh

Edit:

Article states it does not go with the EULA so it's a crack / bypassing the EULA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about this link legality. Can anyone providce further evidence?

I can see where your coming from, I too would be worried about losing my cd key with some link someone posted, but I can tell you that it works and I'm genuine Windows.

Of course, it's up to the OP if they choose to follow the link. It's not malicious.

Silver_Pharaoh

I can see where your coming from, I too would be worried about losing my cd key with some link someone posted, but I can tell you that it works and I'm genuine Windows.

Of course, it's up to the OP if they choose to follow the link. It's not malicious.

Silver_Pharaoh

S-P,

If you're not sure a link is legal do not post it. You get the benefit of the doubt on this one but linking to warez, cracks, bypassing the EULA is taken seriously here and it's dealt with swiftly.

Last edited:
S-P,

If you're not sure a link is legal do not post it. You get the benefit of the doubt on this one but linking to warez or cracks is taken seriously here and it's dealt with swiftly.

Woah! hold on! I'd never try to get someone to do something illegal!

I didn't think that this was illegal. I though that it was legal. It's your cd key you paid for (in my case my college tuition paid for it.) So you should be able to use it on another computer as long as it's used on one computer at a time like the EULA says when you install Windows

Please let me know if that link is against the rules here, I never meant to bend them or break them

Sorry guys,
Silver_Pharaoh

Last edited:
Woah! hold on! I'd never try to get someone to do something illegal!

I didn't think that this was illegal. I though that it was legal. It's your cd key you paid for (in my case my college tuition paid for it.)

Please let me know if that link is against the rules here, I never meant to bend them or break them

Sorry guys,
Silver_Pharaoh

S_P,

Relax. The link appears to be a method to bypass the MS EULA which is also illegal to post here. I know you did not list the link maliciously, that's why it was edited with an explanation.

The reason any links like this are removed is because we can not appear to support illegal activities that also violate anyone's EULA. OC Forums and our owner iNet would be subject to legal action if we did.

Man I feel like a dunce for that....

I'm sorry guys! I never saw the part where it states that it goes against the MS Eula....

I'll go back and edit some of my posts, I have linked to that site twice here, and I would hate to be banned or something for that.

I hate getting on people's bad sides....

Sorry guys,

Silver_Pharaoh

Man I feel like a dunce for that....

I'm sorry guys! I never saw the part where it states that it goes against the MS Eula....

I'll go back and edit some of my posts, I have linked to that site twice here, and I would hate to be banned or something for that.

I hate getting on people's bad sides....

Sorry guys,

Silver_Pharaoh

S-P,

Relax! All is cool here. There is noting here held against you for the oversight. The link is somewhat ambiguous and
it's not clearly a crack / warez link but we consider bypassing EULA in the same class if posted intentionally.
Cleaning out another post that's similar would be appreciated.

It's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. We consider the circumstanmces and intent.

Back