• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PCIE / GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yaiie

My 7970 requires two PCIE connections.... Each cable has two PCIE connections. Can I use the two connections from one cable or do I need to have two separate PCIE in... As of now I have to separate power cables plugged in via PCIE and each cable has a 2nd PCIE. (I was wondering for cable management if I could just eliminate the 2nd cable all together and just use one cable... Utilze both PCIE it offers.

My thermaltake 850.. Each cable offers two pci... So in my case I plugged two pci into gpu and I have the other two tied off to the side... Now (if it's okay to do?) I'll remove the second wire all together and only have one split into two instead of two in two with the two extra hanging off

I would assume if that is the layout then that line is rated properly so I don't see a problem if the card runs fine.

If you aren't running dry ice or LN2 cooling, using two plugs on one cord is fine.

The point of having two PCI-E power connectors is to handle more amps without too much voltage droop. So having 2 connectors on a single cable defeats the purpose of that. OTOH it's likely to work fine, but you may want to run the GPU at max load and feel the both connectors on the cable.

I don't think droop has anything to do with it really...just the sheer amount of power needed for the card and any potential overclocking is why there are two with some additional headroom. If it does droop more than a single lead on a single cable, I can't imagine it to be much.

Is there any documentation that states it helps vdroop or am I just missing some basic electrical engineering stuff here (would like to learn regardless).

Droop has nothing to do with it, the connectors are not rated especially high, trying to run a high power card off a single connector will burn the connector far before the GPU cares about droop in the wires.
Most psus that have multiple connections per wire also use thicker wire, just in case.

Attached is the photo of the cable I have powering my GPU. A single cable with two PCIE... I ran Heaven bench mark x 3 times on ultra with a constant 65fps... My gpu temp peaked at 65c.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 26
Back