• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Help w/ Upgrade] $300~400 for GPU (maybe MB and others)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THBronx

Hello there!

I've a low end machine and I thinking about buying a new GPU for gaming purpose (nVidia or AMD), but I don't know if I buy it, I'll need to buy also a new processor or MB, for example. So I would like to kindly ask you to help me with this.

My current PC spec are:

• MB: ECS AMD MCP61M-M3 AM3 Box (mATX, Specs) ;
• CPU: AMD Athlon™ II X2 250 3.0GHz 2.0MB;
• GPU: HD 5670 (512 MB);
• Memory: 6GB Ram DDR3-1333@666Mhz;
• Monitor: 20", Max @ 1600 x 900 @ 60Hz;
• Power supply - edited: OCZ StealthXStream Model OCZ500SXS (NewEgg OCZ500SXS, Chart Specs: OCZ500SXS Specs)
• Computer case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z case (NewEgg V3Black Edition)

Here are some more info:

• Approximate purchase date: November (Black Friday);
• Budget range: $300-400 or less before rebates;
• System usage: gaming (e.g: BF3/BF4 and future releases);
• Are you buying a monitor, kb, mouse, etc: No.

So, a new GPU will save me or I will need to buy something else?

Note: I'm from Brazil and here we usually don't have acessible prices and it's because that I'll import all the items from US stores. This way I'll pay a lot less, even with the taxes applied. So you guys can suggest components and US stores without major problems.

And I'm moving to live in Japan in 2014, where I'll buy a whole new PC, but until there I just wanna have a better GPU to play some games using better graphics setup (high to ultra) with my machine (that later I'll give to somebody, but I'll save for me the new updates).

Thanks a lot for any help and just let me know if I am missing with some information.

Get a cheap FM2 motherboard an the FM2 socket Athlon X4. That's all you'll need for now. Grab a 7870 GPU. Better performance than pigpottomus's suggestion.

Back