• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 bit or 32 bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

I cant seem to figure out if the CPU in a laptop is 32 or 64 bit. Intel web site says 64 bit capable, but it wont boot up a 64 bit OS on a live CD.

Intel Core 2 CPU T5200 @ 1600 Ghz x 2

Its an old CPU, from 2006 more or less, and 64 bit was still not much used then, so most likely its 32bit only. Then again, Intel says 64 bit. Heres the Intel page specifications:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27252/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5200-2M-Cache-1_60-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

Id like to install a 64 bit OS to see if it runs faster

There are more than one of those processors.

If it's 478, it should support 64 bit.

Then there's 478M or socket M. I believe that is 32b only. SL9VP...

There's no real world benefit to 64bit if you can't run 4GB or more in RAM. My old T7500 socket P is 64 bit, but the notebook mobo only supports 3GB of RAM (2GB officially). Do you have a link to the notebook model (or make & model)?

Kay... another example of corporate idiotzy! who puts a 64bit capable procesor on a mobo with a 32bit chipset?

Oh well, another door stop...

Thanks for allur help.

My old notebook is running 32bit Vista. It's used for web surfing, VMWare & Office 2010. The old HDD died & I stuck a SSD in it. That really gave the old notebook new life. That might be something to consider to speed up your old notebook too. Good luck.

Thanx for ur advice. SSD are comming down in price and definitely and option for ol' laptops revival. The mainboard is only 32 bit capable (max RAM 2 gigs), even though the chip ranks 64 bits. I use it for web radio streaming. :>)

Back