• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android Voicemail notification app?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I have an N4 with Android v.4.3, and really don't do much voice traffic on it, however- when I do get voicemails there is no type of notification, I have to dial my voicemail and check.

Is there a Voicemail notification app that will leave some kind of visual cue that a voicemail has come in?

Use Google Voice Tim. It will send you an email with the transcription and will also give you visual voicemail in the app.

You'll have to activate through the website. Than it will just work. Choose not to port your #. The rest of the options are straight forward. How to: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Another option if you are on At&t is to sideload the At&t voice mail app...I like GV better. Also you may have to make a call to your carrier if it does not set up...They have to allow the call to be forwarded. Same for GV if it doesn't set up...Try setting it up with those directions and call your carrier only if the calls don't go th GV.

The visual cue will be the notification at top of screen.

Last edited:
I'm on 4.2 on my S3 and I get voicemail notifications just fine with no 3rd party app. In fact, they're rather annoying because you can't swipe them away, you have to call and listen to the voicemail.

Use Google Voice Tim. It will send you an email with the transcription and will also give you visual voicemail in the app.

You'll have to activate through the website. Than it will just work. Choose not to port your #. The rest of the options are straight forward. How to: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Another option if you are on At&t is to sideload the At&t voice mail app...I like GV better. Also you may have to make a call to your carrier if it does not set up...They have to allow the call to be forwarded. Same for GV if it doesn't set up...Try setting it up with those directions and call your carrier only if the calls don't go th GV.

The visual cue will be the notification at top of screen.

Yay, that will work!

kdnk.png

Getting an email transcript would be nice, but I'd have to jump through too many hoops with AT&T(actually CC- an AT&T mvno); I'll investigate further, as it seems a neat concept. Thanks Dave! :salute:

Last edited:
Google voice is great, but the downside is that at this moment, it is not able to work with hangouts fully (kitkat has hangouts as the sms application). ;google voice also does not support mms, and will not support it until early next year. The solution I've read about uses gvoice lite for voicemail, but hangouts for sms.

Soon that should change...We should be able to change the default messages app and Sprint and now t-mo sort of have MMS though its sent to your email account...Hopefully they straighten this out soon.

Also you can of course just not use hangouts and use a 3rd party app...I use textplus and have for years. It will be nice if they add support for 4.4. To allow it to be my default.

Last edited:
Soon that should change...We should be able to change the default messages app and Sprint and now t-mo sort of have MMS though its sent to your email account...Hopefully they straighten this out soon.

Also you can of course just not use hangouts and use a 3rd party app...I use textplus and have for years. It will be nice if they add support for 4.4. To allow it to be my default.

Very true. I know on my galaxy nexus, I use messaging + Google voice personally. Don't know what I will do when I get my Nexus 5 here soon. Just waiting on Sprint to release me from my contract :)

If your a hangouts user Blue...I may be hitting you up with questions on it. I have been avoiding using G+ since getting in it right at the beginning. It looks I won't have a choice now its sucked up my latitude and looks like its going to encompass everything.

I feel as entrapped in Google ecosystem as I did in Apples.

I'd hate think that if MS got their act together ...I might start using a windows phone.. Eeek

If your a hangouts user Blue...I may be hitting you up with questions on it. I have been avoiding using G+ since getting in it right at the beginning. It looks I won't have a choice now its sucked up my latitude and looks like its going to encompass everything.

I feel as entrapped in Google ecosystem as I did in Apples.

I'd hate think that if MS got their act together ...I might start using a windows phone.. Eeek

To be honest, I have used google talk a lot, and hangouts minimally. Mostly just back and forth to my wife. Google talk was when she was deployed, but I would rather my text messages were unified with talk/hangouts, but at the same time I want voicemail there. Dont really care for the transcribing, but being able to access the voicemail as audio files is huge for me... I hate calling in to my voicemail and I tend to not check my voicemails then. I wish it was rolled out completely, but it is not. If all three can reside under one roof, or app in this case, I'd be ok with that. The big limiting factor is mms.

As for G+, I like it better than facebook, as the privacy settings are simple, and can be set pretty restrictive. That being said, there is definately less traffic om G+ compared to facebook.

Yay, that will work!

kdnk.png

Getting an email transcript would be nice, but I'd have to jump through too many hoops with AT&T(actually CC- an AT&T mvno); I'll investigate further, as it seems a neat concept. Thanks Dave! :salute:
You're welcome Tim. If you have your Gmail setup on your phone it would send the email there without any carrier involvement. I'm guessing you don't have the Gmail setup yet. otherwise you would have gotten the email with that first voice mail.

Back