• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell damaged box. Should I return it before opening it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Babar78

Hi everyone.

If possible, I would like to have your opinion on it.

I recieved two 4670k from AMAZON today and one of them has a damaged box while the other is 100% clean.

I'm quite paranoïd about getting DOA product so I usually ask for an exchange when an item box is damaged. Among the two processors i got, one has like a cut from a cutter on the box, and said box also has a damaged corner as if somebody made it fall on the ground. If that happened, could it have damaged the processor in it???

Here's two pictures:

05tJTGr.jpg

V13Skrp.jpg

What do you think about it? Should i ask for a new one ? It doesn't cost me anything where i live because Amazon just swaps items without question when a customer is not happy with it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

It''s probably fine, but if you're really paranoid send it back.
Thank you for your reply.

Well, lately i had kind of no luck with my purchases (got two Hawk 760 cards DOA (one lasted 2 weeks, the second 1 week) and both had boxes in a bad state.) :cry:

So I pondered what to do and thought it doesn't hurt to ask people who are way more connoiseur than me on this topic (for example, if any had a bad experience with bad chips that came in damaged box)

Thank you again for the time you spent to help me :thup:

Like Mandrake , I also think it should be fine. But I would first check whether it came from a good batch. Look here:

Haswell i5 4670K/i7 4770K batch and o/c results

(Link originally posted by redduc900)

If it was from a good batch I would try it out. If not, then return it and hope you get another one from a good batch.

I already checkedthis thread up because i plan to oc those little beasts but I got batches that no one got so far apparently:

- Costa Rica batch: 3315B355
- Malay batch: L316B421

I can't find any informations, so i guess I'd have to see by myself.

But if you have any informations to share on these batches, I'd gladly read them before opening the boxes (it's easier to swap items on amazon in the country where i live if the box is not opened yet)

It seems the Costa Rica batches overclock better, in general. And are newer. If the Costa Rica one was in the damaged box, I'd try it out. If it was the Malay one, I'd return it.

If you could return both, then return both provided that the 2 you get back are from the Costa Rica batches.

The damaged box is the Malay one.

I'm gonna make a decision tomorrow after a good night ^^

Thanks a lot for your help and the informations you provided to me :)

I think if you have the pictures to prove it still has the seal on it and is damaged, you can safely RMA it if something does happen to be wrong with it.

I was able to RMA an AMD FX-4100 that I killed with an OC, so I imagine if a CPU is DOA you should be able to RMA it just as easily.

Made up my mind. Thanks a lot for the link. I'm gonna return it.

I'll come back to you all in a few days for new infos: My tests with the Costa Rica one, and to share the new one I'll get early next week.

Thanks everyone. Great community you have here :)

Back