• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[troubleshooting] Fluctuating frames and high Temps 280x /7970 cf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

I've got an Asus 280x 3gb Direct Cuii V2 (which is basically an OC'd 7970) and it's in crossfire with an Asus DCU2 7970 3gb .

What would be the top level of temperatures for these cards. I'm kinda worried about the periodic 84c it hits... It runs games at 80 to 81c but goes up from there once in a while..

Thanks.:rain:

Last edited:
I figured this would help. I have tried searching online and all I get is review after review.. I need an actual graph, table or chart to show me what is a useable temperature for this card. I'd also like to know why it is so hot at idle too.

Picture below is at Idle.

9B3P6Pc.png

I'll just keep adding to this..

Here it is at idle with a single 280x. I've noticed that the clock speeds are way down compared to the Crossfire setup.

Zoo6iVf.png

I've now run each card individually and have placed them back into both slots with the crossfire bridge on the second connectors.

I enabled crossfire and i'm quite surprised to see ULPS is enabled in the status area on GPU-Z as I went into the registry and disabled this because it originally caused the other GPU to run 100% when not in use.

So i'm confused now because Ultra Low Power Settings caused an issue similar to this and was disabled, then another issue where the GPU would run at 60% load with full voltage arose the ULPS was magically renabled making everything normal again BUT.... the computer is crashing more frequently..

It's crashed opening GPUtweak
-4 GPU-z'

I'm kinda thinking i'm writing for everyones entertainment cause this thread is feeling kinda lonely...

On the plus side when it's working i'm getting 120frames on Ultra in Battlefield 4

Ran BF4 with CF now and i'm not pleased.

After 10 minutes of playing.

fg8KfpW.png

Just before I started up the game.

58ufZGH.png

Last edited:
and again i'll continue the story..

I moved the crossfire cable to the furthest outer slot and doubled my frames but it would hit a max of 122 and drop to 60ish and kinda had a constant fluctuation rate.

Running and playing BF4 showing the GPU activity.

Crossfire bridge set furthest in
Fnks3Ak.png

In game screenshot of settings and FPS

8TM3GX7.jpg

CF bridge position

YiTUOkX.jpg

Crossfire bridge set furthest out
cE5Tvna.png

In game settings

7S069qC.jpg

Peak frames

kBlAAGW.jpg

Lowest frames

wRm1Btj.jpg

Shown again in video settings Peaks and lows.
7S069qC.jpg

A83BrgH.jpg

Just now I was running another round of BF4 and prior to it I turned off Frame pacing in CCC and Synced the cards frequencies in GPU tweak so the 7970 matched the 280x . Tremendous boost in game but I stopped and looked up to the sky , frames jumped to 160+ and the game froze, actually the computer froze.
I gave it a hard restart and windows wouldn't load prompting me to run Startup Repair utility. After giving that an attempt and fail I loaded up windows successfully and I am now sitting here wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

:rain:

Tried BF4 again , Frame Pacing on, no GPU tweak settings at all, cards defaulted.

2 minutes in it freezes. Both times it's frozen i've run Fraps in the background for the framerate meter and not for recording.

I'm going to try and disable ULPS again in the registry.. I don't know how it was renabled but it's annoying and odd since now a single card won't run at 60+c constantly it just shuts down.

Disabling ULPS and i'll report back the results.

ULPS has no been disabled in my BIOS. All the information i've found about this says to disable in 0000 0001 0002 0003 but I found it in 0004 as well but not in 0000 of the registry string.

Here's a screen shot showing underclocked idle GPU's in Crossfire at the same frequency with very low temps...

bZs7sAa.png

Next step is to run BF4 and see what happens.

BF4 has been run and I was able to complete a round. Max frames were about 80fps and I didn't catch the lows.

Temps never reached 80c which is nice to see for once!

ig6HzRb.png

Tried a couple more things I couldn't do with ULPS enabled..

I ran GPU tweak and syncd the cards running 75% fan.
I disabled Frame Pacing and stayed on Ultra settings.

Results: 140+fps with a low of 80fps on Ultra
Max temperature 66c with fans at a noisy 75%

Game ran as good as EA allowed it to lol. (actually looked and played smooth).

What kind of CPU and what speed is it at?

P.s. those cards look great BTW. I'm looking to get a 280x to crossfire with my xfx 7970, in a few months.

OMG! WHY IS YOUR SSD 128 CELSIUS?

Edit: lol nvm. Google told me its a common problem and an error lol not actual temp

Last edited:
I tinkered with it a bit more and found that clocking the cards too high gets less frames and sync'ing them in GPUTweak freezes 3dmark.

With a modest 1070mhz Gpu Clock and a 6000mhz Memory clock these two cards held hands through the Firestrike test and did very well. I'd have to see if I can push them a little further in the clock department until I find the 7970's limit.!

BzRXm4v.png

That's not too shabby! I have my 7970 at 1060mhz and 6440mhz. With stock locked voltage (xfx)

I'm kinda thinking that my 7970 has more potential then the 925mhz and 5500 memory clock but I can't get it to stay at the higher 1100 and 6000mhz clocks like the 280x. It's almost like I trick it with GPutweak and it works once but if I try to adjust afterwards it just resets itself.

copied:
AMD announced on Facebook that the maximum temperature is 85*C on the core, unknown on the VRM's. But Tahiti losses overclockability past 70*C, this will un stabilize your overclock
end copy.

copied:
AMD announced on Facebook that the maximum temperature is 85*C on the core, unknown on the VRM's. But Tahiti losses overclockability past 70*C, this will un stabilize your overclock
end copy.

GPU tweak's fan profile doesn't go full fan until the GPU hits 100c... EEK!

Just manually set the fans to 75% and played an hour of BF4 , temps didn't exceed 80c but the noise is unsettling!

Back