• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lust

Hey guys,

I am currently running an i5 3570k that is overclocked at 4.5. I am looking to upgrade to an i7 since I do a lot of video editing as well as gaming.
I have come across a few CPUs that caught my attention, the: i7 3930k, i7 4930k, and 4770k. Now what are the pros and cons of these processors?
And what would be the best solution for my needs? Money is not a factor. I am also looking to get a new motherboard to go with this processor upgrade so
if you could kindly recommend some nice looking + performing motherboards that would be great.

Thanks.

Well...

The 3930K and 4930K are hex core (6c/12 threads) CPUs and are on a different platform. A much more expensive platform than the 3770K and 4770K. What applications do you use. Do they utilize the GPU when you edit video? That is an important thing to know in order to best guide you. And if it is CPU only, is however much time worth the few hundred difference it will cost you to get into the X79 (3930K/4930K) platform? I know money isn't an issue, but I'm sure you don't want to 'blow it' either.

So, what application do you use and does it utilize the GPU to encode?

Well...

The 3930K and 4930K are hex core (6c/12 threads) CPUs and are on a different platform. A much more expensive platform than the 3770K and 4770K. What applications do you use. Do they utilize the GPU when you edit video? That is an important thing to know in order to best guide you. And if it is CPU only, is however much time worth the few hundred difference it will cost you to get into the X79 (3930K/4930K) platform? I know money isn't an issue, but I'm sure you don't want to 'blow it' either.

So, what application do you use and does it utilize the GPU to encode?

i use adobe creative suite, 3d rendering with maya, 3dsmax, cinema4d.
not sure if those apps are more cpu or gpu intensive :/

also i am using a 2gb gtx 680 so my main concern atm is upgrading my cpu. i need this pc for school so i need it to perform. i dont mind spending more but i dont need anything overkill haha.

At least some of those can utilize the GPU I believe... look it up and verify though.

That said, I understand your needs, but if the GPUs are or can do most of the work, why not let them and save some coin in the process? Personally, unless you do this for a living and every second counts, I would jump up to 4770K and Z87 based board. Any will be fine for your uses really in the $120-$190 range. As far as looks, that is your choice, not ours. What I think looks sweet, you may not.

At least some of those can utilize the GPU I believe... look it up and verify though.

That said, I understand your needs, but if the GPUs are or can do most of the work, why not let them and save some coin in the process? Personally, unless you do this for a living and every second counts, I would jump up to 4770K and Z87 based board. Any will be fine for your uses really in the $120-$190 range. As far as looks, that is your choice, not ours. What I think looks sweet, you may not.

i will be doing video editing and graphic work for a living which is why i wouldnt mind upgrading to the 2011 platform. well you can list some boards you think look nice i can see what the options are.

Sabertooth... lol, the bane of my existence... Solid board, but priced too high for what it really is. If you are into a 5 year warranty, go for it though (And I hate its looks!). Otherwise, it really brings nothing (proven) to the table to warrant the price IMO.

The Deluxe... is pretty overkill for ya honestly, but also a solid board. You would be happy with the Pro.

Sabertooth... lol, the bane of my existence... Solid board, but priced too high for what it really is. If you are into a 5 year warranty, go for it though (And I hate its looks!). Otherwise, it really brings nothing (proven) to the table to warrant the price IMO.

The Deluxe... is pretty overkill for ya honestly, but also a solid board. You would be happy with the Pro.

okay so this is what im looking at right now.

4930k w/ x79 deluxe or pro
4770k w/ gigabyte ud5h or z87 pro

how much more performance am i getting when going to 2011? and do you think its worth it

Here is a link to our review on the front page. Yeah, its the 4960K, but it is only 100Mhz faster.

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-ivy-bridge-e-4960x-cpu-review

There are many many reviews on the web covering its performance. Some, like the Anandtech review, may even use one or two of your programs in the review...Id give those a look. I would answer it, but I am not sure personally. The reviews have those answers though. :)

Here is a link to our review on the front page. Yeah, its the 4960K, but it is only 100Mhz faster.

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-ivy-bridge-e-4960x-cpu-review

There are many many reviews on the web covering its performance. Some, like the Anandtech review, may even use one or two of your programs in the review...Id give those a look. I would answer it, but I am not sure personally. The reviews have those answers though. :)

so basically if i game a lot there were no improvements or even lower performance ratings with the 2011 chip compared to the 4770k? if thats the case id rather save my money if the 4770k can keep up

There really isn't much of a difference in gaming. And if you look, there is a 100Mhz difference between the 4770K and at 4960K. So that small difference may get smaller... may not.

I wouldn't go 4770K over 4930K over a FPS here or there if you need the horsepower the 4930K provides.

One thing to note though... some boards may need a bios flash out of the box to work with a 4930K. X79 is the same platform the 3930K came out on. I would imagine with most you should be ok, but not all and no idea to tell which is good out of the box or not...

There really isn't much of a difference in gaming. And if you look, there is a 100Mhz difference between the 4770K and at 4960K. So that small difference may get smaller... may not.

I wouldn't go 4770K over 4930K over a FPS here or there if you need the horsepower the 4930K provides.

One thing to note though... some boards may need a bios flash out of the box to work with a 4930K. X79 is the same platform the 3930K came out on. I would imagine with most you should be ok, but not all and no idea to tell which is good out of the box or not...

okay so lets say with video game streaming and rendering will the 2011 chip be better?

Go s2011.. You can afford it and you will use it. I am a pretty frugal person when it comes to my own PC's and giving out advice. If I am saying get it... go get it. :p

Of course, wait for others to chime in and help I may be missing something, LOL!

Whats the rest of your rig? Components, cooling...etc?
Why not a 3770k, overclocked itll give you around the same performance as a 4770k

Back