• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will win 7 oem upgrade also?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

This has probably been asked b4, but I found nothing...I need to know if an oem version of win 7 will upgrade a windows vista system?

He is ready for a change from the headaches that Vista provides daily :bang head

Thanks in advance,
Doc

Although there may be a correct answer, I don't think so. I bought the full version of Win7 to upgrade from XP. I'd been running the Win7 beta on a separate drive for several months and knew that's what I wanted. There was no Upgrade option prompt when I tried to perform the overlay on the XP drive, just full install or nothing. I performed the full install on the beta drive after saving data and was pleased as it gave me an opportunity to clean up the HDD anyway. And then left XP on the other drive, just 'cause. It seems there were yet other files or something that had me dinking with the whole deal for about 3 days IIRC.:D

I know Win7 can only do a clean install from XP, even with the Win7 Upgrade version. But it should be able to upgrade from Vista.

If they are still using Win XP, how old is the HD? I would be inclined to replace that with the install. You can always do a clean install with an upgrade disc just by installing it twice...so it thinks there was an OS there. In fact I just did it tonight.

Back