• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

jan 2014 gaming build + futureproofing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d0gtom

Hey guys, that's the build I'm currently working on. It is mainly intented for gaming, keeping of course the future proofing component in mind. That's why I decided to go for LGA 2011.

CPU: i7 4930K
MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
RAM: 16 GB (4x4) Corsair Dominators
GPU: EVGA 780ti Kingpin edition
PSU: Corsair AX 860 i
STORAGE: 120/240 GB SSD + 1,5 TB in older SATA drives from my current setup

For the case I'm thinking 750d.

What I'm planning on adding is a second Kingpin Ti, and watercooling the entire thing. But is the PSU enough? If I overclovk the CPU, and run an SLI configuration, am I going to need more power? And by saying overclocking, what can be gained without overvolting? Of course each chip is different, but what can normally be expected by overclocking and not overvolting a 4930K? Sorry for the noob questions but I'm quite new to this.

Welcome to the forums. :)

To answer your main question, you will definitely need a stronger PSU. 800 is the recommended min w/o overclocking. I'd say a 950 watt or 1kw would be perfect.

For gaming, 4770k and z87. No need for a hex core and such an expensive motherboard.

2 780ti's... How many monitors do you have? What resolution are you gaming on?

With how you want to overclock, and 860w psu is plenty... Realistically it's ok for overclocking. The 780ti is a 250w card. With no voltage overclocking, that wont change much if at all. The hex is 130w and figure, at absolute worst, the rest of.your stuff is 100w. That takes me to 730w and that us assuming all components are running 100% which is only realistic in stress testing or f@h or mining...

Last edited:
Do you need the kingpin card and motherboard that are meant for sub-zero overclocking?

Last edited:
Future proofing and diminishing returns are a careful balancing act.
With the money spent on 2011 and hex core now, you could probably get z87+quad core now and another down the road, which will probably end up being faster and cheaper.

If you're planning to put the CPU under water as well, why do you care about adding additional power? Furthermore I would think running two Kingpin 780ti you would want to overclock the snot out of any processor... Also someone ask this already but please tell us you are running multiple screen or playing at least a 120hz on a 1440 screen to make all that power worth it.

LOL, I didn't even see it was the Kingp1n edition... LOL! Yeah, he has a lot of hardware meant for sub zero overclocking when he doesn't remotely need it...

Must hear back from OP... LOL!

I would get larger if this was an AMD Octocore, a miner or F@H type machine, but for gaming and no additional voltage overclocking, he will be lucky to break 600W actual use with 2 780ti's. Hell, I don't break 400W with a 4930K @ 4.4Ghz and a 780 overclocked (same TDP as 780ti).

Just a suggestion to cut some costs in come places, improve quality in some others. Just something to consider.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($73.74 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($549.37 @ TigerDirect)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1753.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-23 13:20 EST-0500)

Scratch that, I should say just broke 400W. I recall seeing ~420W (at the wall which of course you need to subtract your PSU's efficiency from).

Anyway, here is the review on the 780 Lightning on a 4770K @ 4Ghz. It hit 388W with the card overclocked using 3dMark 11.

Thanks for the input guys!
haha is the kingpin edition actually meant for subzero ocing? I didn't know! I already own a 780ti acx/sc but thought I could use the step up thing from evga. The only reason I thought of doing it is maybe a better quality chip? I don't think I'll be overvolting however.

I'm already using the AX 860i PSU, so basically I could keep using it?

Currently I run a 1080p monitor, I will get an 122/140hz in the near future.

+ If I am to watercool both ti's, does it matter which version I choose for the second one? does the second have to be an acx/sc as well or could I also go for a "plain" sc version?

So, after the suggested "modifications" maybe something like this:

i7 4770k
8 - 16gb RAM
maximus vi formula (love it)
keep the 780ti sc/acx + add a second one
keep the 860W PSU?

as for cases I'm now looking at the cm haf stacker. seems interesting!

1080p 120/144 monitor a single 780ti is what you need. Unless you are one of those that requires 120 fps with vsync?

2 are brutally expensive overkill. By the time a 780ti can't spin up a 1080p monitor, getting another would like be a bad idea as it would be a couple years old.

^yes, that looks good.

As you plan on watercooling, you could also have a look at the 290x's.

Though, if you are not planning on mining, nVidia cards get better drivers/less issue out of the box.

I almost regret my 780ti for that, lol!

If you dont plan on overvolting there is literally zero benefit to buying a kingpin. The regular 780ti is the sweet spot there. (Though a used 780 is much sweeter price wise.) Instead of running out and grabbing a second 780ti, and since you mentioned you were planning to upgrade your monitor, I would look into 1440p@120hz, like the ROG Switft monitor thats soon to be released. Two 780ti is just slightly overkill even at 1080p 120hz. You'll likely get a much nicer gaming experience out of 1440p and G-Sync.

^yes, that looks good.

As you plan on watercooling, you could also have a look at the 290x's.

Though, if you are not planning on mining, nVidia cards get better drivers/less issue out of the box.

I almost regret my 780ti for that, lol!
290x is expensive at it's current price...msrp on that thing was $500. As of last week, can't find any under $600. :(

Last edited:
I though 290 was 400, 290x was $500. Launched at $550 and stayed/went up from there.

I think you are right... My bad! Still can't find one for under $609 on Newegg though. :(... Looks like I was $100 off on all fronts, lol!

Back