• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

jan 2014 gaming build + futureproofing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
⍙ as I remember too. The 290s are running around $500 now, the 290x are around $600-650 from what I've seen. It's fallover is also that the 280-series are escalating, along with the mining factor too.

Yeah, glad I bought my 280X when I did for a little over 300 before all the price hikes.

And getting a good PSU is good, I always do, but you can go overboard too :)

Not familar with the PSU but I'd think 860 would be plenty for what you're doing.

Last edited:
Price are really crazy in the US.

In France, a 280x is €250/$320
a 290 €300/$400
and a 290x €380/$510

you can even find some cheaper: i got a 290 (which unlocked) for €270 ($360).

And that's prices incl. taxes.

Until you are ready to upgrade your screen dont upgrade. Honestly if you have a 780ti, that should be good. If you had to keep a constant 120 then maybe grab another one but that's a lot of Horse Power for just a 1080 screen. If you were getting a 1440p 120hz screen then I could maybe see an argument there.

In my opinion anything north of 85-90 FPS is good. The games (talking mostly about First Person Shooters) really start to smooth out at those frame rates.

Not going to comment on the AMD overpriced thing as there are 50 other threads talking about this. Just don't go AMD right now.

Back