• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh474

Registered
So first off i am new here and yes im going to ask that famous question how do you over clock your computer lol (CPU, gpu, and ram), as you can guess by now im total new to all this iv just finished my first pc build so now i want to lurn to over clock, its only a very cheap one just for learning how to more than any thing else so this is what i have

motherboard - asus M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 420e
GPU - NVIDIA Palit GeForce GF 210
power - ARTIC BLUE 750W
RAM - 2 x 2gb 2 x 1gb = 6gs
2 x Arctic F12 fan 120mm (front and side)
1 x 120mm standard fan (top)
1 x 90mm standard fan (rear)
standard lcd fan controller (top and side)

so i think thats every thing to any advice would be grate as i said im tottlay new at all of this so any guides, videos and how to's would be grate so thanks again and if there is any thing else you would like to know please just ask

To overclock the gpu, personally I would just download a program such as MsiAfterburner, here you can tweak settings and read heat output from the gpu.

To overclock the cpu and ram always go through the bios. I would recommend reading up on overclocking so you don't push it to far to quick. but to start on the cpu adjust your cpu clock ratio up slightly and see if it will remain stable. If it is not stable upping the cpu voltage helps with stability, but upping voltage is where overclocking can kill your hardware which is why researching is your friend. That is the basic overclocking there are many other things you can do to achieve an overclock, but the basics should be learned first.

As far as ram i would remove the 2x1GB kit as mismatching ram can lead to unexpected issues. I'm not very good at OC ram yet so i'll leave that to someone else.

The best thing to remember while OC is to only adjust one setting at a time, so if your computer fails to boot or is unstable you know where to go to fix the problem. I would also recommend downloading cpu-z and cpuid hwmonitor to read heat outputs of components and the actual speeds of what your computer is running

Here would be a good place to start researching
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645425

Your cpu and about its overclock should fall well within the tutorials listed at that major thread shown below. Good luck sir.

LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645425
AMD CPUs Ultimate Sticky Thread

Bulldozer Overclocking Guide - Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly. - Good guide to get you started with your Bulldozer / Piledriver system.

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II - The guide to taming the Phenom II (and Athlon II ...soon to include Thuban!).

AMD Phenom II (Results Only Thread) - Tell everybody about what you did with that first post!

OC'ing an AM2: An update to Easy 1, 2, 3, Overclocking ... - Still on AM2? We've got you covered.

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64. - Not to be left out, there's still room for A64 lovers.

Are you cooling the CPU with the stock cooler that came boxed with the processor or some larger, more efficient aftermarket cooler? This is one of the most important components in overclocking success because success in overclocking is highly dependent on keeping the processor and the CPU socket area cool. Need more info please.

ye im using a aftermarket cooler im using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 with a side panel fan over the top of the cpu the cpu stock temp on prime 95 is 35c but from i can under stand the max temp is 70c but i think ill be sticking close to 50c to 60c

That's good you'll get a bit more out of that cooler compared to stock and 60c is a good place to stop.

That cooler should be a good match for the CPU and the CPU and motherboard are also a good match for each other. You should be able to get a decent overclock with that combination.

You already have Prime95 installed but how about CPU-z and HWMonitor? If not, please download and install these latter two tools that are standards around here.

The other thing that would be tremendously helpful to both you and us is pictures of the overclocking sections of your bios. Those would be (primarily) the tabs that allow you to adjust frequencies and voltages of various components such as the CPU and memory. The tab might be called "OC Tweaker" or something like that.

If you have a usb thumb drive it may be very easy to capture screen images from bios just by pressing the F12 key (I think it's the F12?) and saving the image to the thumb drive. Once you get back into Windows and onto OC Forums you can attach the images with your posts. To do that just click on the Go Advanced button beneath any new post window. That will load the advanced post window. Then click on the little paperclip icon at the top of that window. That will load the file browser/upload interface and the rest will be obvious.

The first changes in bios would be to disable Cool N Quiet and C1E.

Since your CPU has a locked clock multiplier (i.e., it's not a "black edition" CPU) you will need to do overclock via the FSB (Front Side Bus). This parameter may show up in your bios as "CPU Frequency". The stock is 200 mhz.

Last edited:
He cannot upload those F-12 Bitmaps straight to the forum since they are a shade over 2MB in size and need to be downsized to allow for upload as I remember. Saying as I remember. I think the forum allows for 2MB .bmp files but I thought that F-12 was saving a little over 2MB. Maybe there is a small fudge factor depending on what is reading the file size.
RGone...

Thanks for the input on that RGone. I've done it this way but it has been awhile and I don't remember if I had to downsize them or not. If that is necessary, a free program called Irfanview is great for that sort of thing and can also be used to change from bitmap to .jpg I believe.

Even MS paint will do that and already on the machine. Resize and save as Jpeg

pic of the bios

ye iv got cpuz and im using core temp as well so here are some pics

Untitled_zps025839d7.png

Untitled2_zps5e4cd05f.png

Untitled_zps019139ed.png

Untitled2_zps170d6e5e.png

so there you go if there is any thing else you's would like to know please just ask

Last edited:
Good job with the pics! Now, could you add in a pic of the Advanced tab. You can add another pic if you choose the Edit button. I think Cool N Quiet and C1E live there and you will want to disable them.

Good job! Now:

1. Take "Ai Overclock Tuner" off of "Auto" and put it to either "Manual" or "PCI-e Async" whichever way the bios words it. When you do this you will see a new option to manually adjust the FSB (aka, HT Reference or CPU Frequency/CPU Speed).

2. Also take the "Memory Speed," "CPU/NB Frequency," and "HT Link Speed" off of Auto and set them to stock. For the CPU/NB Frequency and HT Link Speed the stock is 10x or 2000 mhz depending on how it is expressed. For your memory, choose 1333 mhz, for now anyway.

3. Post back with a new pic of the Ai Tweaker tab. Then we'll go from there.

Ok so iv changed the setting you have said well i hope i have done them right

IMG_20140312_085336_zps51a2cc34.jpg

Looks good.

Now,

1. Set memory to 1066 mhz
2. Set HT Link Speed to 1600 mhz
3. Set CPU/NB Frequency to 1800 mhz

We are lowering these frequencies at the outset to make some "headroom" for overclocking the CPU. These other frequencies are tuned to the CPU Bus Frequency (aka, FSB, HT Reference) and will grow in lockstep with it. Any three of them can cause instability if they get too large.

Also, Change the "CPU & NB" voltage mode from "Offset" to "Manual".
1. Manually increase the CPU voltage to 1.3
2. Manually increase the CPU/NB voltage to 1.225
3. Post back with a new of this section of the bios after making these changes
4. Add to that post pics of these three tabs from CPU-z: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD"

Once these changes are made you should be ready to overclock the CPU.

Now, let's go for the overclock.

1. Increase the CPU Bus Frequency to 210 mhz.
2. Once back in Windows, open up HWMonitor on the desktop. Make sure the frame of the HWMonitor window is adjusted so that all the "Core" temp lines are in view at the bottom. Leave it open until after you run the 20 minute stress test alluded to in #3 step.
3. Run the Prime 95 "blend" test for 20 minutes.
4. If the system completes the stress test then increase the CPU bus frequency to 220 mhz and repeat the stress test. Always have HWMonitor open for every stress test.
5. The first time you fail the stress test, back off the CPU Bus Frequency by 5 mhz and repeat the test. Failure to complete the test looks like any of these: blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or having one or more of the Prime95 worker cores drop out. If you still fail the test, add .025 to the CPU voltage.

Watch the "core" temps. Don't let them exceed 60c. You might encounter temp-related instability once you exceed about 55c. Also watch the CPU socket temp and don't let that exceed about 65c. You may encounter instability if that component exceeds about 60c. Temp-related instability usually occurs before you reach temps high enough to damage components. If you watch these temps and stay within these guidelines then you can continue to add CPU voltage as necessary to restore stability.

That's pretty much it. Increase CPU Bus Frequency, stress test and monitor, add more CPU voltage to overcome instability. Stay within temp guidelines. I wouldn't run CPU voltage higher than 1.5 for 24/7 use, even if temps are okay. Work on getting your CPU Frequency up to 250 mhz because at that fequency your ram will be back up to 1333, it's max rating.

If you get stuck in progress ("hit the wall"), post back with pics of HWMonitor (after at least 10 minutes of stress testing) and the three tabs of CPU-z I asked for in an earlier post. That will give us a peek at your temps and bios settings and may provide a clue or two as to why this is happening.

Once you seem to have arrived at your max overclock we'll have you stretch the stress test out to two hours to make sure the system is good and stable.

Note: The CPU socket temp may not be labeled as such in HWMonitor but if it isn't it will be one of the TMPINx lines. If you are unsure which one of those lines represents the CPU socket temp then post a pic of HWMonitor after a stress test and we will try to help you spot it. HWMonitor uses "CPU" temp to mean temp of the motherboard area around the processor socket and "core" temp to refer to the temp of the actual processing cores.

Last edited:
so dont look like im going to be overclocking much soon as i change the CPU Bus Frequency to 211 mhz the computer wont turn on then i have to turn off and turn back on and bios comes up with overclocking stopped computer from booting then i have to change CPU Bus Frequency back to 210 mhz iv even changed the cpu v to 1.475 and its still the same wont turn on so iv changed bus back to 210mhz and cpu v to 1.300

Back