• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dark Souls II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bustos

So, was thinking about preordering this game for the PC...most likely will.

Dark Souls II

Heard it's really a challenge and doesn't hold your hand like most games out there. Its also supposed to be moddable like Skyrim.

Any thoughts? Has anyone played the earlier versions? Anyone even heard of this game?

I have a friend that's played both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. He even has Dark Souls 2 for PS3. He likes them all.

I've never played it myself but I've been in the room when he's played the earlier ones. The whole "die and you have to go find all your game currency again. Oh did we mention you need that currency to level up?" seems kind of frustrating.

demons souls and dark sould are 2 of the best games ever made if not THE best. i've bought tons of games the last year in steam sales and nothing else does it for me any more. anyone that doesn't like souls games needs to git gud.

demons souls and dark sould are 2 of the best games ever made if not THE best. i've bought tons of games the last year in steam sales and nothing else does it for me any more. anyone that doesn't like souls games needs to git gud.

I must need to "git gud" then. While they aren't terrible, I doubt people would be making such a big deal out of them if they weren't permanently set to "I'd rather chug some magma" difficulty :shrug:

Almost every negative review, says how hard it is.

Legend of Zelda meets Diablo, and it actually penalizes you for dying. So you have to actually think things through before trying to bash everything you see.

Guess kids today can't handle that. :shrug:

:O you compared Dark Souls to Diablo and Zelda.... how dare you! haha. Dark Souls was amazing and all the little stuff you can find without any guides... It was hard, I've said some stuff that scared my wife. Once you learn the mechanics on the game and that a shield is everything the game rocks. I just hated the two black knights with the dragon bows in Dark Souls....

I must need to "git gud" then. While they aren't terrible, I doubt people would be making such a big deal out of them if they weren't permanently set to "I'd rather chug some magma" difficulty :shrug:

yes, that is correct :) there's a way around everything in the game but you have to learn patience and plan things out. charging in and hacking away doesn't work. but yeah it can still drive you nuts sometimes. after i calm down and stop raging i usually realize there was something i could have done to stay alive if i had tried harder. ok maybe there are some nasty traps that most people have almost no chance of avoiding the first time but being careful goes a long way.

If I paid more than 6 dollars for dark souls, I'd have used my one steam refund on it. Worst console port I've ever paid for, with spectacularly awful controller support. Couldn't get the game to work with wired or wireless Xbox 360 controller, and it may as well be unplayable with a keyboard and mouse. When dark souls 2 hits the bargain bin I might try it, if the creator doesn't openly admit it was a terrible port like he did for the first one.

If I paid more than 6 dollars for dark souls, I'd have used my one steam refund on it. Worst console port I've ever paid for, with spectacularly awful controller support. Couldn't get the game to work with wired or wireless Xbox 360 controller, and it may as well be unplayable with a keyboard and mouse. When dark souls 2 hits the bargain bin I might try it, if the creator doesn't openly admit it was a terrible port like he did for the first one.

Luckily I played DS for the console. Was an excellent console game. I heard horror stories about the PC port. The game developers said DSII will be more PC friendly.

worked for me on pc without a hitch with the xbox 360 controller. weird. but yeah the graphics could have been way better on pc if they felt like it. there's a mod to make it a bit better.

So, is it recommended that I use a controller rather than the keyboard to play DSII?

If a controller, I'd guess personal preference on 360 vs PS3 controller? or the One vs PS4?

The nice thing about the xbox pc controller is games are already usually set up for it. I like playstation controllers better myself but it's nice not having to set anything up.

Oh and do yourself a favor. Don't spoil the game too much with guides. Part of the charm is feeling lost and figuring things out by trial and error. Good luck and have fun!

I had my wife pre-order it for me :D. Probably might get the ps4 controller, it was design to be more pc friendly compared to the ps3 was.

Preordered it as well, yesterday. I think I'll give it a go with the keyboard/mouse.

Been trying not to do too much research via guides but more looking at 'endgame' builds towards my playstyle. I'm used to using guides but my friend would agree, part of the game is exploring and learning as you go without outside help.

I could never get into Dark Souls, I really wanted too, but it seems like you need a wiki to know specific features of the game, but I don't like reading wiki's. Then when I play the game I keep wondering if there is a better way to do this, if this weapon sucks, etc.

I got around 5 or 6 hours into it (last thing I remember was unlocking the elevator to the undead parish) and I still am not sure how you stop being hollow, what humanity is, and etc. Sometimes when I read posts about Dark Souls and how they did this with so and so I just go huh?

I feel like I need to study before playing the game, or spend A LOT of time familarizing myself with everything, and that's what puts me off from playing it further.

That was kind of why I liked the game. You found stuff out on your own... in game. Ya its time consuming but with a new game plus feature you can go through the game again with your character to try something different. Going to the wiki or open forums is helpful but not needed, someone had to find the things in order to make the wiki. Unlocking that elevator in undead parish is still like the beginning of the game lol. It just takes time, but it was simple challenging game.

That was kind of why I liked the game. You found stuff out on your own... in game. Ya its time consuming but with a new game plus feature you can go through the game again with your character to try something different. Going to the wiki or open forums is helpful but not needed, someone had to find the things in order to make the wiki. Unlocking that elevator in undead parish is still like the beginning of the game lol. It just takes time, but it was simple challenging game.

That's the thing, too much time learning everything. If I had more time I would love to get into it, but right now it seems like you need to put in X amount of hours to figure out and learn everything before it starts becoming enjoyable.

If you take the right paths the game wasn't that difficult, at least in the beginning. I remember going to the graveyard first thing and thinking this game is ridiculous, then taking the right way and realizing it's actually pretty simple.

It also doesn't help that using a controller sucks, I'd much rather use the keyboard and mouse since I can actually control the camera while doing things, but that's broken.

The lack of a real story also doesn't pull me in like other games might.

I'll probably give Dark Souls II a try when it's really cheap, but for now I'll hold off.

Back