• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faster Start Up Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrDrummer

Registered
I have an overclocked computer with good specs and windows is installed on a SSD. How can I get windows to load faster? Like, cut through that initial opening logo - once it's passed that point, everything loads pretty quickly.

Can I get my computer to start up (after the bios logo) in a couple seconds rather than 6-12?

Probably not, the time it's taking is due to drivers and software that start at system boot. You can help it a little by killing unwanted software items from loading at boot. start/run/type in msconfig/choose startup tab/uncheck items not needed at system boot. Probably won't be a drastic change but you might be able to shave a second or so from boot time.

If you disable the logo, you sit and wait through a black screen. I recommend leaving it on so at least you have the feeling something is happening.

The best thing I could suggest would be HW. Pair up the current SSD with a close friend and see if they make out.... in Raid 0. That should really satisfy your need for boot speed. You'll be in windows and using it in 10 seconds from pushing the On switch.

GLHF!

Windows 8 cuts extra second... maybe even two.
After how may seconds from the moment you light up your rig, do you see Desktop?

If you disable the logo, you sit and wait through a black screen. I recommend leaving it on so at least you have the feeling something is happening.

The best thing I could suggest would be HW. Pair up the current SSD with a close friend and see if they make out.... in Raid 0. That should really satisfy your need for boot speed. You'll be in windows and using it in 10 seconds from pushing the On switch.

GLHF!

Problem is that time is then spent at the raid initialization window, no? That and RAID doesn't improve access times, only read/write.

a Samsung 840 Evo has something called "Rapid" mode that WILL increase access times, but at a cost of significant drops in other areas, making it not worth the hassle.

Boot time W/ Caviar black 1tb: 28.4 average

Boot time W/ Samsung 840 evo: 14.3 average

Boot time w/ Rapid samsung 840 evo: 9.7 *only one result, because the downsides outweighed the good*

This is on a Win7 ultimate, so it has a longer boot than normal.

You can't raid when Rapid is on.

I have an overclocked computer with good specs and windows is installed on a SSD. How can I get windows to load faster? Like, cut through that initial opening logo - once it's passed that point, everything loads pretty quickly.

Can I get my computer to start up (after the bios logo) in a couple seconds rather than 6-12?
You can disable any controllers you are not using... like extra sata or usb ports in the bios... Lvcoyote has you covered on the windows side of the house...

Disabling the mobo splash screen shouldn't help as it is just there to look pretty while the inane stuff in the POST is going on. On every single board I disabled it on, I saw the POST (not a black screen) when it was disabled. Remember, the screen is there to make things pretty WHILE the POST is going on... it is not an additional thing.

Raid0 shows minimal to no improvements to boot time because, as Janus said, it has to load the RAID setup which negates and time saved by the speed you gain in the array.

Thanks Everyone,

I suppose there isn't much to do. My boot time is quick, but I was hoping there was a better way.

Don't shut down you rig,that should speed things up.

When I was reading everyones posts to speed thing up I thought....why hasn't anyone come up with "boot up time racing" ?? for PC's :clap:

Yea there were several threads in the past about how much time it takes.

You can increase your boot time but at the cost of not loading hardware and software that you actually need.

So the basic things that you can do are:

1. SSD [if you are on a *any* mechanical hard drive, small SSDs are *cheap* so install Windows on one of those small SSDs - then spend the rest of the time asking yourself "d'oh why didn't I get an SSD before!?" - that's how much faster they are, the difference is very noticeable.]

2. There may be certain unnecessary controllers that are loading, disable those in BIOS. For example, if you are not using IDE and only SATA, disable your IDE controller. The same goes for SAS controller.

3. You can increase your boot speed by disabling software, some are needed, some are not, know what they are, quick double click freeware will tell you what has inserted itself into your boot up:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

You can do this through registry but a quick double click on that freeware is faster to see who's in there.

Why do you need any program?? Just type MSCONFIG and delete all the rubbish you do not need!! You can do the same for background Programs as well, which are included in the Win 7 OS using the same thing!

There was a guy who did a list of background Programs that you could switch off, which he posted on the NET!

AJ.

You don't need any program.

Quick double click on that freeware is just faster and allows you to experiment with CHECKING/UNCHECKING - it's just for convenience of doing it more than once, but you are correct that no program is needed.

I would be careful which Windows native processes you switch off, there are a few whose sole purpose is to sent info to Microsoft, like error reporting, but definitely don't disable anything you do not understand.

I think BlackViper is the guy that does all those OS tweaks. I did that in 2006 though for benchmarking... not really today since I stripped and built my own OS's for that anyway.

For a daily driver OS, I really wouldn't bother as even in 2006, it really didn't do much to the every day 'feel' of the OS. The best you can do really is to disable all unused controllers and look what else is in your start up. :)

@DrDrummer

I really Dont know how much faster do you want windows to go Specially you are on a SSD , Does your PC Boot Under 10 or 9 seconds < ??? If so It Is doing the Right Job Mine Boots in 6 to 7 Seconds . Just reinstalled windows on raid 0 SSD this might change once i Put all my Games on there :( :)

I think what Will make you Very Happy Is a restart Button you will eliminate shutdown Time

Correction My Boot time and specially My First boot of the day Is 4 seconds
on 2 SSD's raid 0

Not I just reinstalled windows so this may change if I start to install more things LOL

@DrDrummer

I think this will also help alot This maybe not our topic but it is Smiler and I would Like to share it

I have been going crazy reinstalling windows every time something happens ( witch is my fault ) so I decided to search a Find something that will help me in Installing windows Faster So I found this and I am New at it But it is working

Check it out You Might Like it

http://www.howtogeek.com/124368/how...-7-installation-disc-with-integrated-updates/

Firas

Last edited by a moderator:
Back