• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell (Z87) CPU worth buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

Is Haswell (Z87) CPU worth buy?

I mean, the person who needs help, heard about there were some stuffs/rumors/problems (thermal/etc) going on with Haswell (Z87) CPU, right? Or is that person wrong about those?

So, if someone wants to replace the i7-920 with Haswell (Z87) i7-xxxx CPU, what should I say to that person?

If that person decides to replace current CPU, that person willing to build whole/complete new system: whole/complete new CPU, motherboard, PSU, and etc.

The person intends to use it for gaming/web surfing/Blu-ray (1080p) watching/1080 (Full HD) video file & Web video watching/encoding/decoding/etc.

Wants to change whole/complete new system cause, the PC makes the room or house too hot, which happens by it's Bloomfield architecture of i7-920 CPU series.
So, what do you all think about?

Last edited:
Would be a good upgrade from a 920 for sure. They do run little warm when you overclock them, but they use a good amount less power than that series.

If they've got the money for the upgrade, I say go for it.

I went from 2600k to a 4770k and think it runs a bit smoother and definitely more quietly/cooler.

I would imagine upgrading from a first gen would be even more of a diff.

What GPU does he have? If that needs an upgrade as well, I could see it being a higher priority.

@Janus67:
Cool.
Thanks for reply.
I will tell that person that it is fine with replace his CPU.

@ninjacore:
Thanks for reply.
They have money for the upgrades. So, they will upgrade it.
They have 680, they recently got it.

Last edited:
They won't notice a huge difference in games, but I'm sure the encoding/decoding tasks will improve.

@ninjacore:
I guess they won't notice.
Well, they are thinking whole new upgrades cause the computer makes their room pretty "Hot like sauna"
Also, they don't play have games (most game they play, will be online subscription games).
And for the encoding/decoding, they usually does once a week.
They are too busy working to do encoding/decoding several times a week.

Switching to the Haswell CPU should help with heat, but if that's a big concern, they might also want to look into a nicer case with better airflow. I've really been liking Fractal Arc series.

That seems like a pretty solid case. I'm surprised it's putting out that much heat to be honest. Is their current CPU overclocked?

The gaming performance will probably not have a gigantic change . overclocking the current 920 would give about the same performance boost " obv you can also oc the 4770k".

The heat directly from the processor should be lower as long as you don't overclock it the 4770K's heat up fast.

Now for encoding you should see a 20-30% increase in performance their.

Here is the thing the 920 is getting a bit long in the tooth but its still a strong 8 core processor and with a 3.8-4.0ghz OC it still to this day holds it's own quite well.

Heat from the system is usually combined heat from both cpu and gpu and PSU along with some board temps.

Room heating up is going to happen regardless if you ask me, you need better ventilation and climate control to change that. were talking like 50-100 watt of power usage difference here, not 1000's of watts the heat will remain my 930 Guest rig doesn't for example heat up a room any faster then my ivy bridge system in my main gaming room and both rooms are roughly the same size.

Stock for stock the haswell cpu will out perform the bloomfield cpu of course but in my experience its not as drastic as one would expect but the choice is your's.

Some weeks ago I got Xeon X5550 what is about the same as i7 920... I was playing some games but I had to overclock it or I saw FPS drops ( mainly in mmo when was a lot of characters on the screen ). Recently I had a chance to check i3 4330 based on haswell and it's running much better. I can actually compare i7 920 4GHz to i3 4330 3.5GHz in games that I am playing.

Going for a 4 core haswell is a good idea in this case. It will generate less heat and has also lower wattage. After OC should be good for next 2-3 years.

I just went from an 870 to a 4770K and it do make a difference! A big one.

There again a CPU alone does not make a PC. The sum of the components is where it is at.

^ this.

also I am looking to upgrade to this same cpu, I am reading that a refresh is commining and it should be easer to cool, btu's are btu's, they have to be gotten out of the room one way or another.

Back