• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA Z97 Classified Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Unlike previous platform releases where EVGA was a bit slow to market, they were quick on the trigger with their Z97 chipset based motherboard offerings. As we saw with EVGA's Z87 motherboards, we again have the Classified, FTW, and Stinger models to fill out their Z97 lineup. Today, we'll take a look at EVGA's flagship Z97 Classified. When EVGA slaps the Classified name on one of their products, you can be sure it's loaded with enthusiast level features that the overclocking and gaming crowds look for.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Thanks for a excellent review Dino, so looking at the review would i be correct if you where to use PCI-E Lanes 2 + 4! To get the full x 16 + x 16 as i see it any other Combo gives just x 8 + x 8 even thou its not too much of a difference. :shrug:

Also i like the idea of the PCI-E Lane switches, and having a black Mobo already that's a nice touch for a change as well. :thup:

AJ.

Depends on testing as to how that works out better... remember, there is a PLX chip in the middle of all that creating 'new' PCIe lanes which adds a bit of latency. Its not really noticeable though (2 cards). Here is something I just dug up that may clear the air...

- In single GPU mode, if the GPU is put into a PLX managed slot, we lose <0.5% performance
- In dual GPU mode, there is essentially no difference to PLX/non-PLX
- In tri GPU mode, we see gains using the PLX – from 2-10% over non-PLX motherboards
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7209/msi-z87-xpower-review-our-first-z87-with-plx8747/8

Also i like the idea of the PCI-E Lane switches
Why is that?

Last edited:
Maybe a noob answer, but it allows you to switch off the lanes you are not intending to use!

AJ.

Ahhhhhhhh, you mean the DIP switches that allow one to disable/enable the PCIe slots... I thought you were talking about the PLX chip (aptly named PCIe switches). ;)

Doesn't make a difference unless there are cards in those lanes that you want to disable.
If nothing is plugged into them they aren't consuming any resources anyway.

It can be useful benching multi-card though, or for people with SLI/CFX water cooling setups that want to bench one card.

Back