• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is this safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nineteensc2

Registered
Hey guys, I have a Antec High Current Gamer 850W semi modular powersupply. The PSU has a 2x 4 pin connector for the CPU labeled CPU1 and CPU2. The CPU2 connector that goes into the motherboard has 1 out of 4 wires broken (i.e. the wire is not going into the little clip that goes into the motherboard. For example if you look at this image:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/eps-8pin.jpg

One of the wires (example, the top left one) is not going in, but just hanging outside the little socket.

The computer runs fine and everything, but I was wondering what the significance of that wire is. It's the top right wire.

Can you take a pic of what is going on? I'm still a little confused after your desciption. Might be that you're not drawing enough power to really need that wire would be my guess.

It looks like one of the 12V wires came out of the crimped pin. Might start seeing the system become unstable. Even if it is working fine right now, I would fix it, so it doesn't short out against something later.

Yeah, I'd be afraid of that shorting out. It would probably be a fairly easy repair. Is the pin still in the plug?

Yeah the pin is in the plug. What could cause it to short out and is there potential damage?

And how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

With the system powered down, you could disconnect the connector, pop the pin out that it was connected to, and solder it back on.

The correct way would be to replace the pin and crimp a new one onto the wire, however, even buying a cheap soldering iron kit would be cheaper than sourcing the pins and getting the appropriate crimper to do it properly. Crimpers arn't cheap, and pins usually have to be purchased in bulk. Can be found on ebay in small batches, but even then you have to get a crimper and pay for shipping and all that mess. Easier just to solder it back on.

To get the connector off, you can usually stick a small (bent out) paper clip, or a tiny jeweler's screwdriver into the two sides of the pin that have the arms. The pin should fall out the back of the connector, or push out the back with little effort. If the pin won't push out with a little effort, then the arms are not compressed enough.

I have a set of ATX power supply pin tools from my modding days, but the picture below pretty much explains it all:

http://www.berliancom.com/images//Accessories/atxtools2.jpg

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the help, I might do it tomorrow.

Also, so far I've been using the PC for about 3 days now and haven't noticed anything. Is it a big issue?

While I am no expert on PSU connector usage, I would assume that if it goes to the motherboard that close to memory, that either the memory or CPU is dependent on getting power from it at some point in time or another.

I would bet that stress testing the system may result in some issues though...

Yup, it's definitely for the CPU.

I did run Prime95 and the computer was stable (10-15 mins -- not much) (cpu is overclocked from 3.4 to 4.1 @1.3v)

without a doubt, take it out and repair it. it's meant to have the 12v feed to that pin.

If that is a modular unit, then it should have a spare or unused plug, and if so, you can use that instead. Or...you said that you have two cpu plugs? use the alternate unless it is otherwise in use.
Other than that, fix it in the manner described above
Hope this helps,
Doc

If you do have another plug, I would use that if you arn't up to repairing the one pictured, but BE SURE to wrap that exposed wire with electrical tape so it doesn't short out against the case or something else and take the system with it!

Sure, as long as you wrap it well enough that the wire's won't poke through it, and it stays insulated from accidental movement/shorting.

That tape isn't very electrically insulating... I'd go spend a buck or two on real electrical tape. That's what it was invented for. Best be safe than sorry.

That tape isn't very electrically insulating... I'd go spend a buck or two on real electrical tape. That's what it was invented for. Best be safe than sorry.

While not really insulating, it works as a short term precautionary measure. I have done this before with scotch tape, even worse! lol

If it were me, I would cut the exposed strands off and throw a section of heat shrink tubing over it, pinching the end before it cooled! I'm known for excessive resolutions to simple problems, though. :p

OK, so I opened my PSU box and realized they provided two extra 4x2 CPU power connectors. I took the broken one out and put it off to the side and connected the new one. Since the old one was not modular and a part of the PSU I cannot remove, I decided to lay it down on the bottom of the case which seems to be aluminum ( I think ). Is it safe down there? I attached an image:

24ctdo1.jpg

aluminum is conductive, and your case chassis is grounded. You need to wrap that wire or the entire connector with something.

Back