• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with FX-6300 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

projayjay

Registered
I just built my setup a few hours ago, and I've been installing OS, drivers, and other programs that I needed. Now I am at OverClocking:attn:. My setup is the following:

AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card
Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Samsung S22D300NY 60Hz 21.5" Monitor
Windows 8.1 Pro

I've tried to find out a tutorial for this but I eventually :confused: then :mad: then :bang head, which is why I'm here.

The first image is my idle, and the second is the one with it after it ran Prime 95 for about 40 min.

BTW, I have four fans on the case, 120mm in the front and 120mm in the side both pushing air in, a 120mm in the rear and a 140mm in the top rear both pushing air out.

I hope to overclock it to about 4.3 gHz but you guys know better than I do....

Attachments

• Idle1.jpg
    Idle1.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 316
  • P95 for 1 hour.jpg
    P95 for 1 hour.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 319
Do you have a screenshot of the temperatures when Prime is running? Idle temps are meaningless.

I took the screenshot of when Prime was running for 40 min. It's the image on the right.

Last edited:
I don't see prime running in either. Was HWMonitor open the entire time Prime was crunching away? Your second screenshot shows the current temperature 1c off of your max, which is why I mentioned it. What timings/voltage is your RAM at?

I'm just stalling until the AMD gurus get here and making sure they have all the info they need. :)

Uhh Prime disappears for some reason when I minimize it.. But when I open it up again it shows as it was running the whole time, and yes, I did leave HWMonitor the whole time so I could see the MAX temp.

I don't know why it's like that, but I've ran Prime 95 for an hour 3 times, and it's like that every time.

I also don't know what the timing or voltage is but I only know that it is 1600. I think I can find it in the BIOS?

You should be able to find it on the memory tab in CPU-z.

Now we know the frequency your memory is running at from the CPU-z memory tab. Now show us the SPD tab so we can see the memory's frequency rating and what are the manufacturer's suggested timings and voltages at various frequencies. If you could cluster pics of these three CPU-z tabs together in one attachment it would be helpful. It would also be helpful if you would frame the images so as to eliminate the unwanted screen real estate around them. Use Snipping Tool in Windows accessories to crop them. That would make the desired part of the image much larger and easy to see. I really have a hard time reading the values in the CPU-z windows as it is unless I zoom. I'm using a 15.5" laptop right now.

Your max load temps at stock frequencies and voltages look good. Package temp is maxing out at 36c and socket temps at 36c as well (TMPIN2). Those are the two temps we watch when overclocking AMD CPUs.

Sorry about that...

I don't know the manufacturer's suggested timings and voltages at various frequencies. Is this for the Memory? the Memory is the Crucial Ballistix Sport at 1600

Attachments

• MemSPDCPU.jpg
    MemSPDCPU.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 274
Very informative when done like this and...

...and without full screen captures to fit more peoples screens.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

Go in bios and Disable > C1/E, Cool N Quiet > C6 > TurboCore > APM if in bios > Enable HPC if in bios. Go to windows power management and Set to "performance mode". Then do as outlined below and 'attach' not link your pics to the forum.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

So put the captures in and I'm not sure what the yellow greater than sign is for so I'm guessing

Disable:

C1/E
CoolNQuiet
C6
TurboCore
AMP

and

Enable HPC?

DISABLE: >> C1/E, CoolNQuiet, C6, TurboCore and APM (new application power management).
Not > AMP

ENABLE >> HPC if in bios. High Performance Computing. Will help to stop cpu throttling under load for some boards and depending on if it is in the bios.
RGone...

Alright, so I did everything as you asked, except the TurboCore, which I couldn't find.

Now, it could be under a different name, so I disabled Core Performance Boost. Sorry for the big Picture.

View attachment 140628223259.BMP

Should I run Prime 95 and upload the results here?

On that mobo it is likely called core performace boost.

Yes open HWMonitor and leave open logging min/max temps and voltages as indicated earlier and capture the 4 screenies individually and "attach" to the forum for anyone to be able to see. Phones are used a lot now and they do not show on phones when they try to help same for those that might be at work.
RGone...

Here are the shots from the CPU-Z

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
CPOU.JPG

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
MEM.JPG

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
SPD.JPG

And the CPUID after 15 min of Prime 95 Blend
cupid.JPG

One question: FANIN2 Value keeps going back and forth between 1000 and 60000 rpm. Is it a software thing as it has it happened with this before or is it my hardware?

FAN2 could be a fan that is not PWM? No idea otherwise. If all fans seem fine then all IS fine.

I would n0w manually change cpu multiplier.

CPU Clock Ratio is set AUTO

And

So is CPU Ratio.

You probably need to set CPU Clock Ratio to Manual and then
at CPU Ratio you can manually change to 20.0. That "should"
have the cpu running at 200x20 = 4.0Ghz. The idea is to raise the multiplier to 20
and then test that with P95 Blend mode for 20mins and then capture the screenie
of HWMonitor that was open and logging while running P95 Bmode. And CPUz CPU
Tab since changing only the multiplier should not mess with ram speed which seems okay now.
RGone...

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

You have given us a pic that shows part of your bios' overclocking control section. Are there more lines above CPU CLOCK RATIO? I'm thinking their might be something else that comes before that one that might say something like, OVERCLOCKING MODE. If so, take it off Auto and put it on Manual.

Actually, if you could take another snapshot of that bios tab there are other things that are missing from view in the pic of post #15. Please expand that snapshot to include all of that tab and if all of it won't fit on the display at one time then take two snapshots. There are some other overclocking controls that we can't see yet that you may want to manipulate.

Last edited:
Back