• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the best linux???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drkshadow0000

Disabled
hey i was just wondering what the best linux is, cuase i wanted to try it out and put in on the labtop im gona be getting soon.. and there are so many versions out there i dont know what the best is

This Linux.

Don't ask these kinds of questions. There is no answer.

Which is the best Windows? XP maybe? Xp doesn't run my game, its useless for me!

If its your first time with Linux (which I assume it is) I recommend a Mandrake or SuSE Boxed set. The manuals will help you.

k thx.. btw, why do u run xp??? it sucks.. if ur gonna run something run windows 2000 pro, xp isnt really campatable with alot of things. but its up to u what u use.. thanks anyways ill check them out.. out of those 2 which do u think is better?? for a first time use..

k thx.. btw, why do u run xp??? it sucks.. if ur gonna run something run windows 2000 pro, xp isnt really campatable with alot of things.

Doesn't sound like you have ever even used XP. Quit reading what other say and try it yourself. NEVER had a problem with XP for anything. It has worked flawlessly and is stable as can be.

Oh ya, Mandrake Linux is pretty good for beginners like you and I. Installation is easy, it auto-detected almost everything correctly (except my usb intellimouse explorer), and has some good information about each step you take to install it. I tried Redhat and SuSe, but liked the Mandrake install the best. Once you become more proficient at Linux, I would suppose moving on to a more advanced distro would be needed if you are a poweruser.

I've found XP to be *more* compatible with things, if not as compatible as Win2k was. And Cleartype antialiasing is really nice on my laptop's lcd.

well everyone has their different views on which is better, i used xp, didnt really like it, but at least i can say its better than what i got on right now ME. well anyways ill try out Mandrake soon.. thanks for the help

As of 10mins into the future I will add this to the sticky.

Just instaled mandrake on another system I have and I must say it was very easy to install and I really like it.....Im even thinking about putting it on a partition on my main system

drkshadow0000 said:
k thx.. btw, why do u run xp??? it sucks.. if ur gonna run something run windows 2000 pro, xp isnt really campatable with alot of things. but its up to u what u use.. thanks anyways ill check them out.. out of those 2 which do u think is better?? for a first time use..

I don't run XP, too bloody expensive and it don't work for me.

The best version of linux is 2.4.18, w00! Oh, you guys are talking about distributions, that include the GNU utilities and other oss applications. Sorry. :D :D :D J/K, I would get mandrake 8.2 gaming edition if they have it. It comes with the sims and transgaming, not sure if it comes with a subscription or not, but its only 5$ a month. Now if they only would get Diablo II working for me. :(

well ive decided to go with mandrake 8.1 :) my hard drive for the labtop should be in any day now so i can then instale it

Back