• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing hsf on Radeon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CSaddict

I was going to upgrade the hsf on my Radeon 8500 128 DDR, but I just read on a website it is epoxied on! How do you remove the exsiting unit without damaging the gpu? Any suggestions?

LOL your kidding right? It get hotter than a hair dryer can get it now! No other way guys?

put it in a anti static bag
place in freezer for 15 minutes
pry off HSF with flat head SD and credit card
clean guck off with hair polish remover
done!!! :p

Does the ram have any heatsinks on them that you are thinking of removing? They had a pic over at hardocp that someone had tried to take a heatsink off a radeon memory bank and ripped the ram right off the pcb!:eek: Just think how that person felt after tearing his vid card up.:mad: Anyways, the freezer trick will wok to get the hsf off the gpu for sure because that's how I got them off of my old TNT card and also my Radeon LE card.

I put mine in the freezer the other night and then put a credit card under and used a screwdriver to pry the corners using the cc to keep the screwdriver from scraping the board.It came off quite easy but it's a little scary doing it.

Starfox said:
put it in a anti static bag
place in freezer for 15 minutes
pry off HSF with flat head SD and credit card
clean guck off with hair polish remover
done!!! :p
Note: before the installation of the VidCard, wait untill all the condensation is gone! generally 30min are enough ;)

Thanks for alll the help guys. I'm confident I can do it. When the stuf gets here I'll try it.

Back