• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox board info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDninjaboy

I'm looking at buying a new M/B so i can start O/Cing. I have a AMD 1Ghz Thunderbird that im gonna unlock. I was wondering about RAM, is it best to go with DDR or does SDram work ok. I've been looking at the Epox 8KHA+ M/B, is this a good choice. I was also wondering about cooling I'm currently using a Dragon Orb 3 w/ 7000Rpm fan. Current temps are 28 idle and 32 under load. How far will I be able to overclock before air cooling won't work. Thanks in advance for any info.

If you're going to dive in, head for the deep water. The 8KHA+ is an excellent board, that's what I have. At this time there are three choices for you: Take an 8KHA+ w/266 DDR, get an 8K3A+ w/333DDR, or wait for DDR400 mem to arrive and get the 8K3A+. DDR is definitely better than SDRAM. I've got an 1.4Ghz Athlon running just under 1.6 with resonably low temps. I would recommend a good heatsink that works. Again, my personal favorite is the Millenium Glaciator II with Artic Silver II. You definately don't want to cut corners on your cooling. As a limiting factor, the temps you will see depends on cooling, fsb, multiplier setting, voltage changes to stabilize the system, and plain luck. My friends, and others that I trust, suggest that you should try to keep your loaded temps in the mid to upper 40 c's. Though it is withing specs to go higher, it will generally lower the life expectance of the processor and memory. If you want to overlock 24/7 I am sure that some of the good folks running Seti or Folding can also provide some excellent advice. As an added hint (no charge for this one) Get the Crucial DDR memory. You won't regret it. Good Luck!

epox board

Tks, tlemaste.
What mem would you recomend, I've been able to find Crucial pc2100 is that the memory for the 8KHA+ board. The computer place I deal with is getting the 8K3A+ boards in soon. Do you think that would be a better choice with the faster ram. I'm hoping to overclock this 1Ghz to about 1.3 or so. Or any opinions would be welcome. Thanks again for any help guys.

Like Silver, I highly recommend Crucial. Another one that seems to be good comments is the Samsung DDR. I haven't had experience with it though. If you decide to jump to the DDR333 then the oneswith the best o/c stability would again be Crucial, suprisingly, it trails slightly behind the Kingston DDR333 with Winbond memory chips. For more info on this, go here .

Back