• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 1.4Ghz reccomended temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_slh_

Im running an athlon 1.4ghz in an ABit KT7A mobo, using a coolermaster HSF (sorry, cant remember the model number, but the packet said it was rated to 2.2Ghz) and the thermal paste that was supplied with it. Its all in a full tower case with 2 80mm fans, one intake at the front and one blowing air out at the rear. The hardware monitor prog that came with the board is reading the system temp at 24 degrees C and the CPU temp at 50 degrees C when idle. Is this high? And if so, whats the best way of bringing it down? Junk the heatsink? More fans?

Mine was running at 45 idle and 53 under a load with a milinneum glaciator when I first got it, I just installed a blow-hole yesterday and today my temps are about 35 idle and 40 under a load. You're temps do look a little high, but that's nothing a new heatsink and more/better air flow couldn't fix. You might want to try a blow-hole, it did the trick for me. I used a fan holder from another case and mounted it to the psu support in my full tower. I used the Thermaltake Smart case fan for the blow-hole cause it has pretty good cfms with low noise and it comes with a nice thermaltake grill. I posted pictures of it in my thread "1.4G Althon Flame-Thrower." Good luck!:cool:

Note: I have 2 sunon 80's (1 intake and 1 exhaust), very similar to your set-up. The placement/location of you processor on the board makes a BIG difference, my 1.4 on my KK266 was in a dead spot, so the blow-hole made all the difference. If you can post a picture like I did we can make some more accurate suggestions.

Last edited:
cheers...think to start with ill get the old hole saw out and put a blow-hole with a fan on the side of the case, near the cpu (mainly cos its cheaper, and Im skint :) ). If that dosent make much difference, next payday ill get myself a nice new HSF.

Congrats and goodluck! Did you get a chance to look at the pictures at my thread? I was so proud of my mod and it worked so well! I'm running at 1.5Ghz (10.5 x 142) right now with idle temps of 36 and load temps of 40! I hope yours turns out as well as mine did and if you need any more help/advice, I'd love to help! :D

I just finished fitting the side fan, and its brought the CPU idle temp down by 10 degrees. havent had chance to test it under load yet, and I havent taken the photos off the camera yet, but Ill post them soon as I do. Luckily, I work for an engineering co, so was able to borrow a 77mm sheet metal punch that made a perfect hole for the fan..only took me 20 mins to fit it.

Looks great! and I noticed that your processor is located under the power supply away from the flow of air like mine is, so that blow hole "should" make a big difference! What kind of fan did you use, how many cfms? My temps dropped ten degrees as well after I first installed to blow hole (idle from 45 to 35), isn't it great! My temps are still [email protected] and I've still got room to overclock some more! You probably could improve the temps a little more with a bigger/higher cfm fan in the bolw hole or a better hsf, but you're probably looking at only a few degrees. This is the best mod I've ever done and the best $10 I've spent on that computer. Blow holes are cheap and perform great, I now encourage everyone I know to install one. Again, it looks great; happy overclocking and let us know how well it overclocks!:burn:

Last edited:
The fans nothing special, no idea what sort it is, just something that was stuck in the back of an old PSU I had in the loft. Ill be replacing it with something a bit more powerful when I next get paid, along with replacing the HSF with something a bit chunkier.

Back