• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about unlocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theprdg

Registered
This isn't a question about how it's done. So don't leave so quickly. So what I want to know is after it's unlocked, specifically what types of changes happen? Was the multiplier on the chip originally set at a static value and unlocking results in many multiplier settings or was the multiplier available for changing but unlocking reveals more multiplier settings?

Thanks

unlocked

The multiplyer was fixed at a specific value, but once unlocked you may select which multplyer to use.

cool. Thanks. One more question, how do you tell whether the CPU is unlocked or not?

unlocked

By testing the multiplyers and checking to see that the clock speed changes as it should. I do this at default FSB. I raise the vcore slightly when checking higher than default multiplyers so as to avoid a BSOD if the speed is unstable. What cpu do you have? I can tell you your default multiplyer.

If you set a multiplyer but get an incorrect clock speed, the unlock has a bad connection somewhere, and should be redone if you want to be able to use the problem multiplyer.

Coo... ok, I have an Athlon 1800+. I know that if the L1 are lines then the chip is unlocked. But what I see on mine is a line of black and what seems to be square grooves in between the upper and lower dots. These grooves have a slight hint of shininess which suggests that they could be unlocked but it's hard to tell. Here's what I mean...

L1
b b b b b

b = black square groove. They don't connect to each other though

unlocking

1800+ default multiplyer is 11.5

The black slits are laser cuts. They sever the electrical connection and so the cpu is locked at the 11.5 multiplyer. Fill those pits with something non-conductive- like super glue or crayon wax, but don't get any on the "dots". Then paint the L1 bridges, "the dots", back together with conductive paint- auto defogger repair paint, or silver trace repair paint. Don't cross conect the bridges.

I was just watched the Tom's unlocking vid. He only silver painted over the first set of dots on the left. What about the rest?

L1

You do all 5 of them like that.

If you use the search function in the forums, you'll find additional information and tips that may be helpful, as there are several techniques for unlocking, and a few recommended supplies and tools that you'd need.

what should I use to connect the dots of that magnitude?

is the AGKGA good for o/cing?

supplies

Radioshack or other electronics shops will probably have what you need. silver laquer, trace pen, etc

AGKGA are pretty good overclockers. I'm sure I coud get mine to 1.7 Ghz if I had better ram or more ram voltage.

I used house-hold materials and auto defogger paint ($6 from an auto parts store). I wrote this about it in another thread:

Method: Crayon to fill the L1 laser pits and the surrounding ones too, to be safe. Auto window defogger paint to connect the dots. Used a safety pin to apply and acetone with Q-tips to clean mistakes. Scotch tape to mask. I also used grounding heel straps and a wrist strap, a 5x magnifying glass, and a mag-lite flashlight.

Pitfalls: Must clear crayon wax from the L1 contacts with pin or exacto before connecting them. It helps to use several thin layers of defogger paint, and press it flat. The paint seemed to lift up when I was trimming its edges sometimes. Take your time. I did this twice and spent at least half an hour each time. Make sure the cpu is sitting on some foam or something so the pins don't get bent.

Back