• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4T-E past 133mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chop

I've finally reach the 2.4 range and the system appears to be fine with air cooling. I have the RDRAM 4x on and the 133fsb ver stable. My question is how do you set the jumpers to increase the fsb past 133? I can't find this anywhere in the Asus manual. thanks all.

Chop, don't you have the board with the CYP chips? That's pretty good. Also I thought people said you need more than 1.625 volts to do over 2.2 gig, especially on the 1.8as and up.

Clevor said:
Chop, don't you have the board with the CYP chips? That's pretty good. Also I thought people said you need more than 1.625 volts to do over 2.2 gig, especially on the 1.8as and up.

I used to. I sold the board and my 2.0 WIlly to a friend and bought the 1.8A and the ICS P4t_E. I really cannot believe how easy it was overclock this set compared to the old board and the 2.0 Willy. As far as the voltage, I have had it lower than 1.625 @2.4 with no problems.

I have 2.0 willamette and have been playing with a 1.6a for a couple of days now. Man I agree what a world of difference.

Chop, you have to check the P4T manual; you can download it over the web at Asus's site.

I finally got my rig up last night and I'm where you're at, hoping for more. My early P4T-E still had the 1.003 BIOS so Asus said I had to set it to jumper mode to boot (I thought the board was dead). So I set her to 100 FSB and on the 2nd try, she booted. Updated the BIOS to 1.005.

I am running 2 sticks 256-MB PC800 Samsung at 4x133=536 mhz. Since I have a 1.6a Malay I am at 2130. I haven't tested thoroughly but I completed 3DMark2001 no problem (and with my PNY Ti 4600 pegged at 320/740). I have the ICS board of course.

I next tried 150 FSB, heh, but all I got was a beeeep, pause, beeeep, pause. So next I tried 144 and was able to post at 4X on the ram, but I had all sorts of problems getting into Win98SE: not enough memory at one memory address; insufficient memory; Windows protection errors; registry errors. I tried 3X and got a little farther but couldn't repair the Windows registry.

So I next tried 140 and 4X, and I could boot and repair Win98SE, but of course, have to reinstall all my drivers. While in VGA mode I checked Sandra and saw my memory benchmark at around 2000/2000; CPU benchmark of 4200/2200. Still running only 2.2 gig or so. It was 12 midnight so I called it quits.

But I think I can do 140 stable at 4X. I have to restore my partition tonight and check out the 3D.

I am getting really good CPU temps, though it was a bit chilly last night: 33 C idle and barely 40.1 C stress. But I got good cooling. See my setup below.

I'm happy so far since it's not easy to get 2 sticks of 256-MB to run PC1066. The RDRAM I am using now is an old batch from 0109-0125 on a tip from BMG. I gambled the 256 MB sticks might do about as good as the 128 MB sticks. One stick I bought used. I will be testing four 128 MB sticks from the same time frame and a couple of recent 256 MB and 128 MB sticks I got from Googlegear. I should be able to do pretty high since I have a 120 mm fan blowing over the RDRAM. Soon I will switch that 1/2" thick fan to a 1.24" fan. I may put heatsinks on the DRCGs and CPU clock generator, not that they really need it.

And yep, the actual setup on the P4T-E is not that hard at all. I did the pin trick (wire in hole method) and worked like a charm. I'm running 1.68-1.70 VCORE. It's pretty easy to drop wires in the adjacent holes to get up to 1.85. Soft copper wire is the best to use so the pins don't seize.

It only takes a minute to set the jumpers on the switch since it is located low on the board. I just changed the jumpers and saw my mhz climb from 1.6 to 2.13 to 2.31.

I'm pretty sure it's the RDRAM holding me back. I think it needs more voltage (with good cooling). I'm pretty sure 2 sticks 128-MB will do higher for sure, but I want at least 512 MB for gaming, which means I have to run 4 sticks.

P4T-E, 1.005 BIOS, ICS-13s
1.6a Northwood, Malay
Nidec (Sunflower) heatsink/cooler
512 MB Samsung PC-800 (0119/0121)
PNY Ti 4600 at 320/740
9 gig Seagate 10K, 4 MB cache, 5.4 ns, U160 (boot)
Tekram DC390-U2W controller
Maxtor 80 gig 740DX
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Afreey 56X
Three 120 mm case fans
Server case, 10-bays

Clevor,

Sounds like we are heading in the same direction. I think I'm somewhat of a novice compared to what you have going on. I ran into an interesting set back a few days ago and still trying to figure what the deal is. Maybe you can help since you mentioned you like to game on your machine. Everything I throw at the Asus board, 133fsb, 4X RDRAM, 3D2001SE testing, burn in has been rock solid until I bought Jedi KNight II. The game would start fine for a few seconds and then freeze. It happened everytime I tried to play. I have Return to castle Wofl, Medal Of Honor, Tiger Woods 2002, and a few others that had no problems. After reading a few post on the Jedi Knight Website, someone mentioned that overclocking the chip may cause issues with the game so I set the Motherboard to Manual (1.8A). Started the game up with every setting maxed (4XAA), and haven't had a problem since. By the way, this game is awesome if you can get it working. The graphics are stunning. From what I hear some peoploe have a rough go at it. Anyway, it is starting to be a big pain resetting my board each time I want to play. Any thoughts on this? I know this is game related, but it does pertain to the Asus board and overclocking.

Thanks

Frankly Chop, I have NEVER heard of an overclocked CPU causing problems with the game. I think what the guy on the forum meant is overclocking your video card is what may cause problems. You will notice my Ti 4600 is overclocked from 300/660 to 320/740 (core/memory). Now THAT can cause problems with certain games.

If you are not overclocking the card, then usually it's a video card driver problem, which the video card manufacturer usually fixes on a new driver. Matrox, and recently ATI are good at doing this. More often the game manufacturer themselves issue a patch.

It sounds like both of you have had some great success with your systems. Thats very cool.

While I am effectively running and default vCore at 2.4GHz/133FSB, my RIMMS max out at 120MHz. As a result, I have to set the memory multiplier to 3x and settle for straight PC800 performance.

Toast

Back