• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Workstation folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

belorsch

Folding Monk
Well its about 1:30 am and it appears I have folding running in Linux. One hurdle completed. Many to go. Currently this is a PPro 150 workstation. Working on upgrading to dual PPro 200's. But the next thing to figure out is autodialing for linux. Fold on my Brothers!:burn:

You're 1 step (at least) ahead of me. I'd like to try that, but I perceive it as being a time intensive project.

Loud said:

... couldn't be any worse than temp storage queues ... :D
CICS??? Customer Information Control System.

Fortunately, I have'nt had any problems with them, well, except for them shutting down the printer and filling up the queue. Strike that first thought.

We're learning Java now, though. It's a LITTLE different from COBOL / CICS. Have you ever heard of M204 (model 204, a computer associates data base product with it's own front end)?
Not in very wide use, at all. But I know it now. My shop uses it. (Oh, boy, let's learn a language that wont get us a job anywhere.) At least JAVA is marketable. And it's starting to make sense now, too. Funny, though. DB2 in JAVA doesn't look ANYTHING like it does in COBOL.

NedClocker said:

CICS??? Customer Information Control System.

Fortunately, I have'nt had any problems with them, well, except for them shutting down the printer and filling up the queue. Strike that first thought.

We're learning Java now, though. It's a LITTLE different from COBOL / CICS. Have you ever heard of M204 (model 204, a computer associates data base product with it's own front end)?
Not in very wide use, at all. But I know it now. My shop uses it. (Oh, boy, let's learn a language that wont get us a job anywhere.) At least JAVA is marketable. And it's starting to make sense now, too. Funny, though. DB2 in JAVA doesn't look ANYTHING like it does in COBOL.

Yeah ... I rest my case.

Java ... java ... put the grounds in the tray and hit "BREW" right? No? Oh well. :D

I thought SQL was pretty universal ... strange that it would be THAT different.

Loud said:

Yeah ... I rest my case.

Java ... java ... put the grounds in the tray and hit "BREW" right? No? Oh well. :D

I thought SQL was pretty universal ... strange that it would be THAT different.
Well, in my "extensive" java experience (that means 3 weeks of training - 1 ooad, 1 java, and 1 websphere) it doesn't look the same to me. But, you're right. SQL should be sql. Maybe we we were just connecting to the data base. Crunchies, I don't know. Give me back my cobol.

Speaking of java, I may have to put an extra spoon or 2 in the tray in the morning, hopefully before I hit BREW.

Oops. It's IS moring.

Drink on. (Avoid hangovers - stay drunk.):D

belorsch said:
Well its about 1:30 am and it appears I have folding running in Linux. One hurdle completed. Many to go. Currently this is a PPro 150 workstation. Working on upgrading to dual PPro 200's. But the next thing to figure out is autodialing for linux. Fold on my Brothers!:burn:

Cool. Linux rocks imho, but autodialing is something I need to figure out as well. Unless you want to set up a linux gateway and run all your machines through it?

www.freesco.org

Re: Re: Linux Workstation folding

David said:

Cool. Linux rocks imho, but autodialing is something I need to figure out as well. Unless you want to set up a linux gateway and run all your machines through it?

www.freesco.org
That would be cool if I could do that with dial up. Unfortuanately the modem on the linux machine is only a 14.4:( I also have to see if I can get the NIC working but at least I can get to the web.

NedClocker said:
You're 1 step (at least) ahead of me. I'd like to try that, but I perceive it as being a time intensive project.
It wasn't time intensive once I got off my butt and looked. I found KPPP instructions at the newbie site.

Re: Re: Re: Linux Workstation folding

belorsch said:

That would be cool if I could do that with dial up. Unfortuanately the modem on the linux machine is only a 14.4:( I also have to see if I can get the NIC working but at least I can get to the web.

If you can get a 56k external serial port modem, attach it to a P5/120 machine with 16MB RAM and connect everything else to it.

Back