• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can I rig a compunures type thing to read the thermal diode in an XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could probably dig up a digital thermometer or piece of test equipment that will read diodes however.

pHaestus

is the output analog ?
mA, uA, Vs or what ?
magnatude and range (span) ?

I'm getting good at this meter thing, would be handy to directly output it to a panel meter and then calibrate the meter in terms of 'zero' and span to display temp directly

not quite the OCer solution, but handy for testing

be cool

I (now) see, and understand the lead length problem as well
kind of hard to drive a meter off an IC's internal current, when a calculated derivative is the needed result

can that idea

be cool

try this to read the diode in motherboard monitor. I'm pretty sure Hoot is selling some if you want it.

Yes I am somewhat familiar with the Maxim readers (and their limits). Better than "flying blind" with a socket probe for sure. If you have the skill to solder to the motherboard's socket in the first place then you have the skill to just make one for about $5 in parts max:

schematic.jpg

(might wanna throw a 2200 pF cap across DXN and DXP to get rid of any line noise)

I've read the AMD specs. I'd buy one of Hoot's readers, except for the fact that my board doesn't have an SMBus header. I know there is a way to pull off the dimm slots somehow, does anybody have a link to such a thing? It would still be nice to have an LCD screen display my temps...

You can just tap into the SMBClock and SMBData via the backside of the motherboard's DIMM pins (91 and 92 for DDRAM).

The MAX6657 will show up in motherboard monitor, and there are a ton of programs that will report mbm temperatures to an lcd. The cheapest route is probably a parallel setup that you wire yourself (check alelctronics or bgmicro for such).

If you have money then Martixorbital and crystalfontz have nice premade serial lcds.

Thanks for the replys.

I'm still thing about how to put thermal diode ooutput to an LCD, but I need help. When I get my hands on a CompuNurse, I'd like to find out what makes it tick. Are there any datasheets online? There must be a chip that turns the thermosister output into something readable by the LCD, maybe I could replace it?

Gnufsh said:
Hmm... another thought. What's the difference between a thermocouple and a thermal diode? Could I use a thermo-couple reader?

A thermocouple actually generates a small voltage potential as a function of the temperature it is subjected to. Thermal Diodes do not generate voltage as a function of the temperature they are subjected to.

Hoot

Good writeup around.

Hoot - is there a good writeup around on making one of these jobbers? Just spent a couple hours searching through various forums and reading up on it. I would love to make one to get diode readings on my KR7A. Although if my tiny soldering skills aren't good enough and my attempt doesn't work i would like to purchase one from you if you are still selling them.

check out pHaestus' article on procooling.com and voidyourhardware.com - both write-ups a well done/documented - they're what I used to build my reader. Just make sure to use shielded cabling (CD-ROM audio cables work very well) for all your connections between the chip and the mb...

Back