• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron II vs Pentium III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

So, what would be a better chip...

My Pentium 3 800Mhz OC'ed to 875Mhz (145x6)

OR

A Celeron II Coppermine 1ghz (non tually)? AND How well does the Celly OC?

Thanks guys!

In terms of sheer performance, that PIII that you have will leave the 1 gig Celeron in the dust. The added chache and instruction set help the PIII accell where the Celeron falls flat on its face. In terms of OCing, the Celeron is probably a better overclocker than the PIII is.

since the 1GHZ is a cDo 1.2 or 1.33 is pretty likely and in that case....it would be very close....in folding and other apps the celly woudl win....but in bandwith needing stuff (Games) the PIII would probably be better....if you want to buy the Celly i dont think its worth the money....probably be better to save up a bit more and get a powerleap tualatin,....

chasingapple said:
What is a powerleap Tualatin?

it is a tualatin Celeron sold along with a Powerleap Adapter to make it work in older mobos....make sure you ask for v2.0 with voltage adjustments if you do get it...

funnyperson1 said:

it is a tualatin Celeron sold along with a Powerleap Adapter to make it work in older mobos....make sure you ask for v2.0 with voltage adjustments if you do get it...

um, where to buy?

Well, I just got a really nice HSF and OC'ed the P3 800 to 145 FSB (145x6 = 875mhz) and its stable as all hell at the default voltage, man this is fast! Thanks for the info everyone!

Hey chasingapple or chasingamie

If I were you I've avoid buying both the PowerLeap or the Celeron

#1 PowerLeap are overpriced
#2 The new Celeron at $80 are also overpriced
#3 The Entire Socket 370 platform is dying, you're better off saving your $$$ on a new P4-platform or change to a socket A platform than trying to extend your old motherboard.

Also you didn't say what kind of motherboad you have

the PowerLeap is a SLOT-1 Slocket, if you have a Fc-PGA motherboad already you are out-of-luck

Back