• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID + NIC + CDRW = Need Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Ive been having a demon of a time trying to get a new config of my existing rig to work but so far it's been a little headache to say the least. System specs are in my sig. I can't seem to get my Plextor to STAY recognized after I install the drivers for the NIC. It seems like the CDRW can't be seen when I open My Computer but it is listed in the Device Manager.

• IDE 3 SEAGATE BARACUDA
  • IDE 4 SEAGATE BARACUDA
  • IDE 1 PLEXTOR CDRW MASTER
  • IDE 2 ASUS DVDROM SLAVE

Everything is OK until I install the NIC drivers. Ive gone thru different PCI Slot combinations, SBLive!Value+Video CaptureCard+NIC, & still the same problem. Tried 4in1 drivers from 4.31 to 4.36 still no cure. Looked for help from Paul * didnt find any. Anybody want to clue me in on this:(

Last edited:
You're probably way ahead of me on this, but I'd try setting PNP OS to No in the BIOS. What is it about NIC's? I took my 'puter in to my A+ class, and borrowed an NIC to get on the network. I have 4 empty PCI slots, and it still went wrong! I ended up doing a reinstall to get rid of the errors. Also, maybe disable anything unused in the BIOS, such as serial ports, or the PS/2 mouse port if you use a USB mouse. Freeing up IRQ's might help, then again it might not.

I did set it on NO. Why are NICs so difficult?! Will try another install this time with ACPI disabled & see what happens. At least it only takes 30mnts when you got RAID & installing from the HDD. Will also try disconnecting the Plex during the install & only connect it after I install the drivers for the NIC. It was the last bit of hardware I installed & maybe just maybe it'll be the ticket. 2 more installs after the first 3 makes a totall of 5 format & install today. Don't you guys just love VIA for all this fun:eek:

Thanks for the input. Did you ever read that last tip of Paul?
"Get a beer & try again later"
I bet he has gone thru a few while compiling all the info he has.

I had this problem in a install on a non-raid system,what cured it for me was I was mysteriously picking with-out cd-rom support in dos.

Doubt that helps just my symptoms were the same.

I GOT IT!!!!! I only connected the Plex after installing the NIC drivers & everything is showing up. Why is this? I really don't know how to explain it BUT it's working so I know what to do from now on. What a weekend:beer:

I swear, sometimes it seems like there is an element of magic involved with getting computers to work correctly! Glad you got it!
P.S., congratulations on your senior member status!

Last edited:
Guess what?! If you install w/o ACPI you cant get it to idle using WPCREDIT. Install #...... I forget..... (i need a toilet smily right about now)..... maybe later tonight after I get some work done.

PS Thanks:beer:

sonny the reason it works it that the nic is picky as what is in it before you install it if you put it in first it really cant argue or cause a conflict

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news after leaving it overnight the plex just vanished & this time I believe it's the soundcard cause after I uninstalled the drivers for it the Plex came back but only as a CDROM not a CDRW:eek: Yes I'm still deep in it:mad:

Just had a disucssion with you about this. I think you should disable ACPI and stay away from the lower PCI slots. You've tried everything else right? :)

updated bios??? I could not install the sound card for the life of me until i got the latest bios for the kt7a

Jim - cable acting funny so it drops of everytime. ACPI isdisabled in the BIOS past 2 installs but have been checking slots 4, 5 & 6 & still no go. Will be trying NIC on 2 & SBLive!Value crapp, headache from hell when coupled with VIA on 3. NIC is getting way too close to the VCard & will have no more space for the capture card......... so thats why the AT7MAX only has PCI slots 1, 2 & 3....... maybe no conflicts there....... I know diff chipsets but it's still the deadly VIA + ABIT party:eek: :burn:

turok - I have gone thru a lot of BIOS revisions today & had to edit them to get the ACPI switch available in the BIOS cause I had the feeling that the DOS switch " X:\ setup /p i " wasn't really working. My 'cudas have been working awful hard:(

Well I gave up on the RAID for now. Have PCI slots 4, 5 & 6 occupied with NIC, Capture Card & SBLive!Value right now with ACPI active & everything is running smoothly. I did find out that when I was running RAID the SBLive!Value installer would install the emulation drivers even after telling it not to. That's the only thing that's different compared to the Non-RAID configuration. I'll try in a few weeks to remove it from the Device Manager before installing the drivers. I really want to go RAID but I am sick of installing for now. LOL:rolleyes:

just a few thoughts,i have a similar system (without capture card)and have sb 128 in slot 2 and nic in slot 4 and had a modem in 6 without any problems.

have hp cdrw in ide master dvd ide master and my 2x20 wd's as master ata100.

i got my nic from the cable co without driver disk so after reinstalling os i had to find drivers for the card online,had issues before i got those drivers online and ms sees a different nic than the one i have installed driver for but it all works so im not going to mess with it

i am using 7n bios,the 3r caused excessive haet without any benifit.

the creative extras caused problems,i beleive it was win dvd and some other demo so i installed only the drivers supplied by ms.there was also an issue with the creative cd detector which was found by hp and was on cd supplied with my cdrw(hp9510i)and after updateing software was resolved.this update included the creative disc detector version 1.55 and i beleive the earlier version may have been the problem.

i hope this will help as i had the sme problem and the what exactly fixed it i dont remember.

Finally got it to work. The trick was to remove the SB16 Emulation frome the device manager BEFORE you install the drivers for the SBLive!Value & everything will workout just right.

Back