• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux? Which linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m2c4u

Registered
Im planning on running a dedicated counter-strike server. I want to avoid running it on xp/2000 as I want to learn Linux. But which linux do I want? Which linux would be most suited for cs? It will be connecting to the internet via a hub would their be any compatability issues with that? Basically I would like to know how to run counter-strike on a Linux platform. Tnx.

you would have to use Wine, which emulates windows programs to be able to run counter strike....about the server thing, i cant really help you there.....i cna tell you that Redhat 7.3 has Wine built in, but you can also use any other Linux distro and install wine....

funnyperson1 said:
you would have to use Wine, which emulates windows programs to be able to run counter strike....about the server thing, i cant really help you there.....i cna tell you that Redhat 7.3 has Wine built in, but you can also use any other Linux distro and install wine....

AHEM, there is a Linux CS server availible.

I recommend using debian, the most powerful distro IMO.

tnx debian it is then, lots of reading to come :eek: I remeber a program that is like half linux and windows. Linwidows i think it is. Anyone had any experience with this? Cos that may be the best option for me.

Yer I havent got a clue how to run and install Linux and after reading a bit lindows seems not th be the best option.

m2c4u said:
Yer I havent got a clue how to run and install Linux and after reading a bit lindows seems not th be the best option.

if you havent used Linux yet i suggest Mandrake 8.2 or redhat 7.3, both are easy to install, just as easy as windows...and you dont have to use the pseudo-Linux Lindows crap...

I have finally decided to go with suse because it seems the easiest and is also very powerful. That is my final choice. Right. Getting it on the net do I need anything special to make it get onto the internet? This is JUST for a dedicated server and wont be used for anything else. Any tips anyone would reccomend for setting it up? Im currently downloading 7.3 so we will see how it goes tommorow. Bet I have more questions then :D .

I used to run a dedicated cs clan server (for 1hit) i tried it on both W2K adv serv, and RedHat 7.1. Running the server on W2K just flat out sucked. There would be lag on the server about every 10 secondsand hang for serveral seconds, which at the time was quite common on W2K servers. But running RH it ran great until we got about 18 people on the server, then the server started getting laggy. After all it was only a k6-2 300

Too bad you can't get the source for CS/HL server... it'd run great i'd imagine on a Gentoo box...

right im dling 7.3 from the ftp at like 250KBps but it is gigs big. The big files are in folders called suse and full-names. Is there anything that i could rip so it could fit on one cd? tnx.

also once ive downloaded it how do I install it? Do i simply put it in the drive and let it auto run? Im planning on a duel boot on the main system so then I can move it over to the server once ive figured everything out.

right im trying mandrake now arrrgh, its 3 cds so i just burn em to cd and let it boot from the inst cd?

You don't need all 3 cds, you really only need the first one (probably named install.iso). The other cds are source code, and extra shovelware.

Back