• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I heard my DDR Memory FRY!!! Yes, I heard it..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

I took a Radeon 8500 64MB card Retail.. Did the pencil trick for the memory. For those who don't know it's a voltage mod. I popped in the card.. Pushed the Power button and I heard a Frying noise. It sounded like someone was stepping on glass and cracking it. I turn the power off and pulled out the card, the memory was hotter than hell.... ahhh the smell and sound of burning silicon in the morning... Oh well.. I'd like to say that is the first time I ever heard memory fry like that. Amazing.. DON'T DO IT!!:rolleyes:

well I think it's impossible to have a MP3 of it.. I didn't know it was going to happen.. yeah maybe the voltage did it? or maybe it got jealous of my G3 ti 200 @ 240/550

Overclocker456 said:
I took a Radeon 8500 64MB card Retail.. Did the pencil trick for the memory. For those who don't know it's a voltage mod. I popped in the card.. Pushed the Power button and I heard a Frying noise. It sounded like someone was stepping on glass and cracking it. I turn the power off and pulled out the card, the memory was hotter than hell.... ahhh the smell and sound of burning silicon in the morning... Oh well.. I'd like to say that is the first time I ever heard memory fry like that. Amazing.. DON'T DO IT!!:rolleyes:

That's tuff. Did it damage any of your other components?

You really shouldn't do any silly trick to Radeon 8500. This card runs way too hot even at stock speed.

you guys should really know by now that with the pencil trick you don't put on HUGE BLACK HEAVY MARKS!! All you need is 3 light traces and it's fine. personaly i like the resistor mod much better. it has almost no margin for error once you do the mod and it can't wear off. you should have done some more reaserch, maybe then you would have known how to avoid frying it in 3 micro seconds. possibly only took Pico seconds. :D

#18 said:
You really shouldn't do any silly trick to Radeon 8500. This card runs way too hot even at stock speed.

Some do some dont, matter of fact my 8500 barely gets warm(and thats with the old Stock heatsink) With the Alpha cooler on it I can barely even tell its on when I touch the back of the card

My 8500 doesnt get hot, but like I said, some do and some dont.

Even overclocked to 300/300 it doesnt get more than warm....and that goes for when it had that pathetic ATI heatsink on it as well.

PS Overclocker456, Sorry to hear about your card....:(

If you do a search in the Video and Card section here, every single time someone mentions they are going to try to do the pencil trick, I try to talk them out of it/ I try to convince them to change the two resistors instead.....Its far safer if you feel the need to raise your Vmem and Vcore settings. :eh?:

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:

Some do some dont, matter of fact my 8500 barely gets warm(and thats with the old Stock heatsink) With the Alpha cooler on it I can barely even tell its on when I touch the back of the card

My 8500 doesnt get hot, but like I said, some do and some dont.

Even overclocked to 300/300 it doesnt get more than warm....and that goes for when it had that pathetic ATI heatsink on it as well.

PS Overclocker456, Sorry to hear about your card....:(

If you do a search in the Video and Card section here, every single time someone mentions they are going to try to do the pencil trick, I try to talk them out of it/ I try to convince them to change the two resistors instead.....Its far safer if you feel the need to raise your Vmem and Vcore settings. :eh?:

You missunderstood. Of course Radeon 8500 won't get hot when you are checking email or something like that. Run a 3Dmark2001, then touch the back of the card. You'll know what i was talking about.

I could loop Madonion's 3DMark2001 all night and it wouldn't get more than warm.....I know exactly what your refering to....Im saying some 8500's dont get as hot as others, its the manufacturing process I suspect or perhaps an edge/middle of the wafer phenomenon...I really dont know.....but I do know my card doesnt get more than warm

PS #18 perhaps you should think about getting better cooling for your GPU if its really as hot as you say. It takes two small one centimeter cuts with a dremel to the top left corner to get an IU cooler, like a Alpha pal 153 or similiar rackmount heatsink on a 8500

That sucks man, reminds me of the time I overvolted an audio amp and the voltage regulator bust into flames in my lap. Whoops.

FireMogle said:
That sucks man, reminds me of the time I overvolted an audio amp and the voltage regulator bust into flames in my lap. Whoops.

Just what we need to hear. Things bursting into flames, now you have everyone running scared of overvolting stuff. Sorry for your loss, Overclocker456. I've had a close call with water once. ;)

-DarkArctic

I have watched someone fry a PC before at work. UK voltage is 220, US voltage is 110. Needless to say the person forgot to use the little red switch on the back of the PS :eek:. I opened up the case and could follow the burn lines through the MB. :burn: Granted spending 20 years in the US and then going over to the UK took some adjustment but I always triple check that switch and never take anyones word that they flipped it.

Silversinksam said:
I could loop Madonion's 3DMark2001 all night and it wouldn't get more than warm.....I know exactly what your refering to....Im saying some 8500's dont get as hot as others, its the manufacturing process I suspect or perhaps an edge/middle of the wafer phenomenon...I really dont know.....but I do know my card doesnt get more than warm

PS #18 perhaps you should think about getting better cooling for your GPU if its really as hot as you say. It takes two small one centimeter cuts with a dremel to the top left corner to get an IU cooler, like a Alpha pal 153 or similiar rackmount heatsink on a 8500

1. Are you using stock fan?
I mean the Radeon 8500 I have at stock speed under stock fan runs super hot in any 3d programs.(i think it's above 70 C after run a 3dmark once)

2. Execpt my #1 rig, I don't do extreme overclocking, so i don't need special cooler for this Radeon 8500.

Back