• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Book Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vfrjim1

OK, I just finished downloading Mandrake Linux 8.2 and will be burning the .iso's to CD roms, but was wondering what the best book is for a reference Guide? All suggestions welcome and appologize if this question was asked a million times already,

Thanks!

Jim

I had the same problem, I ended up buying SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro since it had lots of manuals. But I must say, Mandrake is much simpler to set up. Not sure of a good book. Good Luck

Joe

Some of the certificaation book are pretty good. I have the LPI in a nutshell book and that is pretty good. I don't intend to take the LPI exam, but the book is pretty good!

If you're worried about getting Mandrake installed and running, don't be. It's very simple, and don't need any reference books. Just write down your network settings (unless you use a DHCP server, eg router or ISP), boot with the first CD and go! If you want to get into the (slightly) more technical aspects of the installation, then pick the "expert" option when the install starts (3rd or 4th option, I think). If you're feeling intimidated or lazy, just use the "recommended" setting and it'll automatically partition your HD as it sees fit. Before you know it, you'll be like Oni.
As for the reference books, you can download any of Mandrake's books here (you can use a program like XPDF to read PDFs in Linux). I could only find the 8.1 Reference Manual and Install Guide for sale, and for some reason the 8.1 Installation guide isn't available in the US (the Ref. Man. is). Go figure.
If you like Mandrake 8.2, please consider becoming a member of the Mandrake Linux User's Club to help support the company and people who put Mandrake Linux together.
Have fun running Linux!

I almost forgot to mention that Mandrake has its own online forums. I don't know anything about them, but the registration is free.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions, I know that they simplified installation Since my last try at Linux, I am running a Triple boot already( WinME/Win2k/WinXP) (Fat32/NTFS/NTFS), this leaves about 12 gigs for Linux, I just don't want to screw it up :)

Jim

Going for a quad boot?! Don't think i've ever heard of that!

Most people get messed up once they hit triple... Took me like 10 tries to get my dual boot working... Good luck though, mandrake is my absolute favorite. And i've used mandrake 7.0, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 (now, it's great), redhat 7.1, 7.2, slackware 8, some corel linux, suse7.3 i think it was, and a random debian. Do unix and BSD and solaris count? lol....

I find mandrake's install easier than windows XP's one, not likely you'll screw up there! Just be careful with them partitions

Back