• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wow that was a close one...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

ok earlier today, i took out everything on my new computer to do the +5 and +12 v mod on my PSU, antec 400w. I had been using a 3 to 4 pin adapter to plug my CPU fan into the mobo. I have a ax7 w/ a 50cfm sunon. Ok, so i power up my pc and everything seems to be fine. I then switch the voltage to 1.85 and ddr voltage to 2.75. I then check temps just for the hell of it and they are steadily INCREASING from 49C. WTF? i rip open my case and relize that the fan on my AX7 is not going! i dash for the power switch and hit the surge protector and turn the thing off. i touch the heatsink and get my finger burned. i wait one hour till the thing finally cools off and plug the fan into my mobo header.

luckily it works now and i am getting 41 C at 1.85 vcore which is pretty damn good if i must say. Moral of the story, always use a gigantic heatsink cause if you use a little one and forget to plug your fan in, you got big trouble!

anyways, i wonder why it did this? the fan was plugged into the 3 to 4 pin adapter all the way... whatever as long as it works. i dont think i should have any trouble w/ the fan in the mobo because it is only 2900 rpm... i have occasionally seen it above 3000 but nothing much more.

edit: btw, the psu mod worked. right now my 5v line is at 5.08 and my 12 is at 12.11

Close calls

Good thing everything survived, Emericana...

My close calls:

1. Glaciator 2 fan not plugged in. My duct saved the day!

2. 1/2 my case fans died when the ground wire on a molex connector came loose, causing the whole daisy-chain to power-down.

3. Used the wrong type of probe from my didgidoc on my cpu core. Caused the heatsink to not be in full contact.

But I've never been at more than 50C yet, so all is well.

yeah i am real happy nothing broke. right now i am testing different settings on the board and i can officially say that the ax7 kicks ***. right now i have it at 11.0x160x1.85vcore (1760mhz) w/ most aggressive settings and my cpu is running at 38C load!!!

about the fan being plugged into the mobo, its not the fanspeed, its how many amps it is pulling, and i think a 50cfm 80mm fan is pulling way to many, i say 3 watts max thru the mobo, i dont know what the rest of you think, but thats what im thinkin for a maximum....

Back