• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help with socket 370 choice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I'm finally gonna upgrade my old BE6 board with a Powerleap Tualatin adapter and a Celeron1.0a. I plan on overclocking to 133fsb, with a possible 140+. My board though uses a Slot1 h/s so I need to get a decent h/s for the 370.

I've read the o/c reviews on h/s and am abit confused right now. It seems to me, that some Socket A h/s can fit on a socket 370 and vise-versa. But on some of the makers websites (like Thermalright), certain h/s are listed strictly as for one type of socket, and not the other.

Can anyone clear things up for me? I'd really like to get the Thermalright AX-7, but Thermalright list it as a socket A only. What would be the next best h/s so I can use a low noise fan for a 370?

TIA.

Mpegger said:
I'm finally gonna upgrade my old BE6 board with a Powerleap Tualatin adapter and a Celeron1.0a. I plan on overclocking to 133fsb, with a possible 140+. My board though uses a Slot1 h/s so I need to get a decent h/s for the 370.

I've read the o/c reviews on h/s and am abit confused right now. It seems to me, that some Socket A h/s can fit on a socket 370 and vise-versa. But on some of the makers websites (like Thermalright), certain h/s are listed strictly as for one type of socket, and not the other.

Can anyone clear things up for me? I'd really like to get the Thermalright AX-7, but Thermalright list it as a socket A only. What would be the next best h/s so I can use a low noise fan for a 370?

TIA.

I personally use the Millinium Thermal Glaicator (The Orginal) which you can pick up for like 22 bucks shipped. You will have no problem with this great cooler. I think socket A and 370 are basically interchangeable with hsf. I do believe the AX-7 will work with your socket 370, but I have not tried this so I am not completely sure. I do strongly recommend the Glaicator for price and performace.

you can never trust a manufacter information!!

reviews are pretty much a better way to go, mpegger. socket a and 370 r the same when talking about heatsinks. if any socket a/370 hs will have any issue working with one of both you will find out that from reading any good review of the hs on internet. AX7 work with both.
its possible a hs will not fit on one of both due to a design problem. i recall reading a review of one i cant remember right now that would only work with the socket a processors due to a size limitation of its base

i just found this about an SVC hs i thought i would share with you. price and performance/noisy is really good (its never bad paying some attention to the small companies - weve seen that on the video card markets) - if money is a concern,
here it is: SVC GC68,

http://www.svcompucycle.com/svcompucycle/newsvcgc3280.html

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=48157

Wow! If that review really shows what that litle SVC h/s can do, I'm definetly getting one. My case is noisy enough wth all the fans I have on it, so a little more noise wouldn't hurt. ;)

Thanks for the info! I could have sworn socket A's fit 370, but just wasn't sure after visiting the manufacturers websites. Hopefully I can get that Cele up to 1.4+ so I can retire my old faithful P3.

pay attention that performance is due to the high cfm delta fan. it wont perform so well with the stock. its a good deal because price is good, if money is not a concern you can always go for an ax7 or other; the swiftech mcxc370 is also a good deal, this would be my personal choice.

Make sure the heatsink you get isn't too big. I had a BE6, and a Volcano refused to work on the Slotket, because it was high in height! The Alpha PEP66 is designed for slotkets!

Back