• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant See the Server???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildbilly2k

Hey,

I am helping my teacher get a network setup and she wants to be able to look through the students network folders on the server but her tower cant see the server that the students are on. I have the computer name domain name and coumputer description. This computer is using win 2k. Any ideas???

ooh yeah and i cant find where to enter the description of the computer in win2k.

first the description is not important and will not affect the network. All that is for is so your teacher can describe the location of her computer.. EX: "TEACHER DESK" Thats the only purpose of that.

1st tell you what to try. You should have the IP address of the server that everyone is trying to connect to. Go to your teachers computer and go into the Command Prompt. if she is running 2000 it is Start, Run, CMD, and a DOS window will pop up.

At the C prompt type (PING space "Type in the IP address of the server") This should send a data packet from the teacher computer to the server. if everything is connect properly you should get a reply back. If not something is wrong.

another question is the server giving out IP Address? or did you guys assign IP addresses manually. If it is manually make sure they are in the right sequence.

192.168.1.102 etc. then make sure all have the same subnet address

This is a start of trouble shooting hit us back and let us know what other probs you might be having

Back