• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This internet issue has me stumped. Any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

Hey guys!

I can honestly say I've never run into an issue like this.... so read on... any help is appreciated.

A customer brings in an HP Compaq Pro 4300 all in one with Windows 7 pro x86 SP1 and says it won't connect to the internet. She tells me she called the ISP and they came and replaced her cable modem for her just in case (She connects the PC to the internet directly from her modem to her PC via Ethernet cable). I hook up the machine to my bench, connected the machine to our internet at the shop via Ethernet. Internet connects right away. *okay, weird... Lets give this thing a tune up anyways.* Ran Kaspersky Virus removal tool, Malwarebytes, ADWcleaner, combofix, PCdecrapifier, ccleaner, and windows updates (in that order). Cleaned up 1 virus and 300 some malware/pups. Tested the wireless just for fun, also connected right away. Called the customer.. told her it was done.. she brought it home, no internet. So I take a trip out to her house. Run the normal internet diagnostics. ipconfig shows the computer pulling an IPv4 address, but it comes up as an "unidentified network". Release, renew, flushdns, check IPv4 settings (all auto/default), uninstall NIC driver, re-install NIC driver, swap Ethernet cables, test cables with cable tester. Everything checks out.... now heres the kicker.... I take my company laptop out... plug in her ethernet cord from her modem... Internet connects right away.

Alright, so i missed a bug somewhere... right? Bring the computer back to the shop...connects to the internet right away.. whatever... Back up her user profile. Wipe and reload the machine via recovery partition. install all updates and basic software, reload her data back onto the machine. Deliver the unit back to her... still no internet. Same as before... pulls ip and dns suffix..still showing unidentified network. Plug the same ethernet cord into my laptop, internet right away.

Okay, im stumped. I brought a wireless router with me... this all in one has a wireless card in it... lets use that... setup the router with her computer. No internet. By now im just frustrated. I disable both the NIC and wireless on her computer... reset the router to factory settings... reconfigure the router with the SAME exact settings via my company laptop... internet works.

Okay... i then re-enabled her wireless and connected it to the router... finally i get internet. Test the NIC from her computer as well... same result... finally get internet.

None of this makes sense to me. At all....

The customer has had this internet provider for over a year, and hasn't had a problem until recently. The only flaw I see in my work is that restored her PC from the recovery partition rather than doing a regular install....but wouldn't you assume that if that was the problem that her PC wouldn't connect to the internet on my bench?

While just selling her the router would be a solution... she doesn't want it/can't afford it. I could probably talk my boss into eating the router just to move on from this... but I would like to find a solution if possible...

Anyone have any ideas at all?

-Thecheat

Sounds like an issue with the computer itself....
But you proved that wrong by having working in your shop.

Weird... Perhaps the router just doesn't like here computer?

Does she still have the old one before the ISP gave here a new one?
Maybe disabled IPv6??
I've seen IPv6 cause issues in my own network at home.
For some reason, IPv6 is very chatty on my network.

This is interesting, sorry that you're going through this though, sure would be frustrating.

The facts:
1. her machine hits the net O.K. at your shop?
2. your company gets online O.K. at her residence?

Do you have a Linux live CD that you can boot her machine to, at her residence?

The facts:
1. her machine hits the net O.K. at your shop?
2. your company gets online O.K. at her residence?

Yeah, interesting isn't it?

Do you have a Linux live CD that you can boot her machine to, at her residence?

I can certainly make one this weekend. Never crossed my mind to try that... see if its an OS issue or hardware. Good call. Its possible the w7 image is bad. And restoring the machine from the recovery partition just slapped the bad image on there again.

Yeah, interesting isn't it?

I can certainly make one this weekend. Never crossed my mind to try that... see if its an OS issue or hardware. Good call. Its possible the w7 image is bad. And restoring the machine from the recovery partition just slapped the bad image on there again.

I can't see it being hardware, you tested that yourself.

A weird case for sure.
I love it when Winders borkes itself up :p

Back