• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTVDM CPU(Virtual DOS)Problem/Need To Repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craigiz1

I firmly believe this is the problem I'm having with my autostart problem. ( http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90065 ) After a lot of research on the web and this from Microsoft, ( http://search.support.microsoft.com...dType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=25 ) I determined the NTVDM CPU to be the problem.
I also thought that from the discription of the error codes I may have a problem with the ram. I did have a missed matched stick in there (pc100 vs 133) so I removed it and moved and re-seated the remaining ram. Now I have 3x pc133 PNY ram. I'll NEVER buy cheap ram again. In all fairness, I never had any problems with it before this. When I originally installed XP, I didn't have that oddball ram in there, (pc100) but it was with this install.

My question is:
How can I re-install NTVDM CPU? Do I need to re-load the i386 files?

PS: I did a repair of Windows, but it didn't work. Everything works fine, just won't autostart and won't allow me to manually start a cd.

Last edited:
Could you go into your "Environment Variables" and copy down all the variables and their values? System Properties | "Advanced" tab | "Environment Variables" button | "System Variables". Please post the results in this thread...if you can't read the entire contents of the "Variable Values", highlight the "Variable" and click the "Edit" button (the entire "Variable Value" will be highlighted).;)

Thank you.

ComSpec - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS - 1
OS - Windows_NT (i'm actually running XP)
Path - C:\WINDOWS\system32;C\WINDOWS;C:WINDOWS\system32
WBEM (i think. it won't all fit into one line to read.) (C:WINDOWS is really %systemroot%)
PATHEXT - .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_A - x86
PROCESSOR_ID - x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 2 Genuine Intell
PROCESSOR_LE - 6
PROCESSOR_R - 0702
TEMP - C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TMP - C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
windir - C:\WINDOWS

If you can craigiz1, could you post the entire "Path" value? It should look look something like this...

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Support Tools\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System

Path - C:\WINDOWS\system32;C\WINDOWS;C:WINDOWS\system32
WBEM (i think. it won't all fit into one line to read.)

Highlight "Path" and click "Edit" | Click your mouse in the highlighted "Variable Value" field | hit the "Home" key on your keyboard (this will position the cursor at the beginning of the field) | click and hold down the left mouse button on the flashing cursor | drag the mouse to the end of the field to highlight the value | right click the highlighted field and select "Copy" | Paste the "Path" value here.;)

Last edited:
I found the following at Toshiba's support site...I'm not sure if it applies:

Disabling the Norton Auto Protect switch from the Task Tray will fix the Autorun failures.
By default, Norton Auto Protect switch is Enabled.
To disable Norton Auto Protect, toggle the Norton switch ON or OFF from the task tray without shutting down the machine.

Here's the address if you want to check it out...

Autorun Fails Intermittently With Toshiba CDRW & DVD/CDRW Combo Drives

If the above doesn't work...do you have an Adaptec folder in your "Program Files" directory? Maybe under C: | Program Files | Adaptec and/or...C: | Program Files | Common Files | Adaptec Shared

The only other thing I can think of is this...

The service: "Shell Hardware Detection" has been set to "Manual" or "Disabled". Go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, and return this service to "Automatic" by right-clicking the "Service" | Select "Properties" | "General" tab | Set "Startup type" to "Automatic".;)

Back